Quick report May 28-June 4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cduffey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll post quick report on our trip that ended yesterday. I have about as much time as the washing machine has left in its cycle on load number 3, so here goes.

We dove with BlueXTsea. Arturo, & Pedro Pablo get better every year. Christi and her staff are always professional, and always safety conscious. We were able to dive Barracuda and San Juan for the first time -- we've been coming to Cozumel for over 15 years. We were blown away by the beauty of San Juan. It is truly indescribable. The critters: 3 eagle rays -- one gave us quite a show up close and personal. A gigantic loggerhead. Many turtles -- some were very big. Splendid toads, juvenile drums, sail fin blenny (thanks, Pedro!), only 3 baby lion fish, and many more that I can't name. Overall, the diving was terrific with a lot of life and healthy reefs. The water temp was about 83, the current was generally mild and the visibility good.

We stayed at El Cantil. This is our 3rd stay there and would stay there again if it is in the budget. They are working on the roof on the north unit, which I think they should have disclosed to us when we booked. Lots of banging during the day. If you were staying with small children that needed to nap, it could be an issue. It was mildly annoying, but for the prices they charge, I would think that you should be warned. Overall, the staff is super helpful and friendly. The condos are very nice, the A/C works great and the beds are comfy, and it is really conveniently located.

We tried a couple of new places to eat this trip. We haven't been in two years, so some things have changed. The Lobster Shack was, by far, the best addition. I had the lobster burrito and I will be dreaming about another until we return. Courteous service and and outstanding meal. We tried La Catrina. We were very impressed with the establishment, but less impressed with our meal. Perhaps we didn't order well. The menu is entirely in Spanish and our waiter was not a great translator. We also had a meal at Local 707. It was outstanding. I really hope that the owner develops a following and is successful, because this is a gem. An old favorite, Al Pie de Carbon, was a big disappointment. We tried the new location. Perhaps that was the problem? Both of our meals were just not very good. Other old favorites did not disappoint -- Le Terraza (great for leftovers for lunch), El Moro, and Kondessa.

Great trip. Back to the real world.

Carole

Hi Carole ,

Nice to see you. The diving with Tres pelicanos has been great.

I heartily recommend Local 707. We are staying at Mi Casa en Cozumel and it right downstairs. We have eaten at the bar 4 times. Such a fun group of ladies and fabulous food.

Agree about El pie del carbon, service was awful and food marginal. The other location is better. Cielito Lindo and the pork shank was amazing.

Still here for 9 more days

Cheryl and Jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom