Quick snip-et of personal news

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The point about my wife was not that she was a child prodigy. The point was that even at the young age of 13 and 14 she knew what she wanted to do and went after if with a focus, determination, and discipline that exceeded her years, and she achieved her goals. Certainly not all kids do that, but some can. I'm not so sure every kid should be forbidden to dive. I realize there are maturity issues with children that could increase the risks, but maybe if additional restrictions were placed on them, they could handle the risks. The kids mentioned would not be facing the conditions that many adult divers face in open ocean. As far as being physically fit to dive, I was a better swimmer at eleven than many adults are, and better than I am now, and I'm a damn good swimmer now. There are no guarantees that anyone will make it through the dive alive. People over 40 generally are at a greater risk of heart disease. Should they forbid all people over 40 to dive? After all, it could happen while they are under water and being over 18 years of age does not guarantee they will survive the dive(just playing devil's advocate now). Out of curiousity, what do you think the minimum age for getting certified should be?

p.s.
I'm not trying to dog you on this issue, just feeding healthy debate.

that I'm an inland freshwater diver. This is where my daughter will be diving. It's very rare that we would have any kind of condition changes which may be quite common in the ocean. The quarries in particular are not much different than diving in a swimming pool although the viz is not quite so good. Also I won't take my daughter to all the places that I will dive ie some current and viz literally and truly 0 ft 0 inches temps in the 40's F.

Well put. In fact your last point made me think O.K., yes SOME children should be able to dive... which makes me think O.K., then what steps need to be taken to assure maximum levels of safety?

I think that there needs to be some sort of revised training for children if they decide to dive. What that consists of, I really don't know as I'm not experienced enough to say. I think the diving community should consider this issue and come up with a plan to ensure that children that dive are as safe as possible. Because, as I said before I think that the certification process is WAY to easy and needs to be reconsidered. I also feel that a possible reason why it is so easy is MONEY. As an industry in general. I believe that there is an unstated idea that if it's so difficult to become certified that some people give up or never try, that the industry will suffer, and to some extent that is true. Like a captains license for even a 20 ton harbor ferry is MUCH more difficult to pass and deals with strict regulation from the COAST GUARD... or a pilot's license or any other license. Now why not for SCUBA, I know I would feel safer KNOWING that the guy next to me at least went through what I went through, and that piece of mind simply does not exist in the diving world.. YET...

No offense taken, I think there are MANY points and sides to this issue and none are necessarily wrong.

I think that maximum safety, since the kids will be diving, is the attitude that Ontario Diver and I are trying to establish regardless of what the agencies set as limits.

Congrats on getting your family involved and certified. I have been interested in getting certified for many years now but the timing of job/money/opportunity didn't come together until this summer. My wife, eldest son (17), second son (15) and I all certified during same week. Wifey and I took separate courses to save the marriage. (This is same as don't try to teach your spouse to drive or play golf!!!!!)

It was terrific, we have managed several dives as hubby and wife since certification at end of July and will continue to do so as often as possible.

During the course we all moved at different speeds in attaining our certification, but all learned and earned. We are now looking forward to diving together more in the future. It is a sport/activity where we can all participate together. Our sons are active in several sports where we are spectators or coaches and we are active in some where they are the spectators.

Go for it!!!!!

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom