RA & Komodo diving difficulty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We will be on the Arenui next July, the 2nd day of the trip will be a full moon! Looks like it's gonna be a wild ride. I do pretty well in current, stiff fins and strong legs. Helps to hit the gym and squat!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have never come across a situation where a diver would be required to climb back into a dinghy in full gear. Cameras first, then fins, then weights, then rest of the gear to be handed in before the diver climbs the ladder.

Never say never, as the saying goes. During sudden intense squalls or safety related issues, clients may be required to climb up a ladder to a RIB in full gear. It's rare, but has happened. In most cases, the boat operator will provide assistance.

I sometime help remove weight belts and assist with cameras. I suggest that the fins come off last, it's easier to fin and hand stuff off to the RIB operator.

I actually like to go up the ladder fully geared up a couple of times per trip because ......I can. Excellent for building some muscle. I do take my fins off first and hand them up though.

Hmm, I've always climbed into the tenders in full gear (minus the fins), although I sometimes need a steadying hand to make sure I don't lose my balance.

Btw is it fair to assume that RA is easier diving than komodo in terms of currents?

Sent from my XT905 using Tapatalk

I actually like to go up the ladder fully geared up a couple of times per trip because ......I can. Excellent for building some muscle. I do take my fins off first and hand them up though.
Same here, in fact I have so many bells and whistles attached to my wing (snoot, SMB, stick, hook, whistle, etc.) that I am more worried being entangled while unkitting in the water than climbing up the ladder fully equipped.The only time I wasn't able to was in Komodo because the boat from reefseekers was not really a dive boat and the wooden ladder almost impossible to climb.

Depends where in RA Iralub - north RA sites like Sardine and Mayhem up in the Dampier Straits area can sometimes be reef hook territory. Of course this is also dependant on moon phase etc.

The way I climb back on a dinghie is take away weight and BCD and "climb" on the dinghie with the uper trust of my fins. I do not understand why people would take their finns off in the water if there is no ladder :).

If you have done rangiroa, you will find Raja Ampat EXTREMELLY tame. I have never done Komodo, but it is on may short list.

We will be on the Arenui next July, the 2nd day of the trip will be a full moon! Looks like it's gonna be a wild ride. I do pretty well in current, stiff fins and strong legs. Helps to hit the gym and squat!

Mikeycanuk- on the Arenui they always have you take up your gear out of the water for you - we have never had to climb up the ladder geared even in rough seas or currents. I have been on the arenui in Komodo and Alor (once with a Lunar eclipse!). Personally I haven't found the full moon to make it that much more rough than the times I have both Komodo where wasn't a full moon. And I am a petite woman :) Hope this helps!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, that will make my wife happy. She has difficulty in currents. She did just get a pair of stiffer fins and she is in great shape too, I think she might be finning wrong. Will get some practice in RA this winter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom