Razor 4.0 v xdeep tec 2.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pathfinder ccr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking for advice on the new razor 4.0 v xdeep tec 2.0.

I already have a halcyon contour s but want o switch over to a dedicated ali cylinder set up.

What’s everyone’s thoughts?

Many thanks :)

Tec is much higher capacity.
Also good for steel tanks. I use them with steels for cold water. And imho fits great.
Sometimes maybe too much lift.

For alu maybe the rec witg with tec harness or classic would be a bettet option.

Tec is much higher capacity.
Also good for steel tanks. I use them with steels for cold water. And imho fits great.
Sometimes maybe too much lift.

For alu maybe the rec witg with tec harness or classic would be a bettet option.
Got my halcyon contour s for steels and dry suit. Looking for a crossover that I can comfortably use with ali and steel. Or should I just get the c
X deep for ali and use my halcyon for steels ?

I’d assert the vast majority of people do not need a Tec and are in fact better off with a Rec.

Between the two, I’d grab a Razor 4 and take a proper Razor class. Smaller, more simplistic, lighter, and you won’t likely need the weight capacity of the XDeep harnesses. Rec or Razor 4 a better comparison, and if you dive the wing relatively empty, Razor wins. That said, use loop bungees :wink:

I would not just go get a Rec based on the above recommendations. It depends on what kind of diving you will be doing with the wing. Is is strictly recreational? Are you doing tech dives where you would need three-five cylinders?

I have been diving the Tec for 5 years and use it for both recreational and tech dives. It works great and fits all the needs I have for the different types of dives I do.

All that to say that we need more info to make an informed decision.

I recently switched from a Razor 2.5 to a Stealth Tech. For me the tech trims better in the water and is way more comfortable floating on the surface. I use the same home made harness on both, so only commenting on the wing.

Thanks for all the replies.

Mainly looking for a set up that is a bit easier to take around when I am travelling compared to my Halcyon contour.

The rigidity and bulk of it makes it a PITA when travelling, plus diving the halcyon with Ali’s is a bit cumbersome, have added extra d rings to the waist for moving the cylinders. I know I can get sliding d’s, but my train of thought is get the correct tool for the job. Steel 12’s and one or two stages/deco gas with a dry suit is what I have on the halcyon and it holds it all very well.

Long term aim is to get cave certified, so would like to get a set up and get comfortable in open water, swim throughs etc, understand the set up throughly before I go for that longer term goal (if I ever get there lol)

Thanks for all the replies.

Mainly looking for a set up that is a bit easier to take around when I am travelling compared to my Halcyon contour.

The rigidity and bulk of it makes it a PITA when travelling, plus diving the halcyon with Ali’s is a bit cumbersome, have added extra d rings to the waist for moving the cylinders. I know I can get sliding d’s, but my train of thought is get the correct tool for the job. Steel 12’s and one or two stages/deco gas with a dry suit is what I have on the halcyon and it holds it all very well.

Long term aim is to get cave certified, so would like to get a set up and get comfortable in open water, swim throughs etc, understand the set up throughly before I go for that longer term goal (if I ever get there lol)

With this in mind, I would go with the Tec 2.0. I can take mine, lay it down so the inside of the harness (the part on mu back) is facing up on a table, lay my regs in there and then fold the wing over and use the waist bungees to hold it together. It then slips into a large backpack. If I put my regs elsewhere, I slide my fins inside and fold it over the same way.

As for your mindset on sliding D-rings, I agree. I also believe that sliding d-rings are taught by instructors that don't have a high level understanding of the physics of sidemount. I admit, I used them and taught them until I learned from someone much better than myself how to properly setup my cylinders and waist d-rings so that I need one move per cylinder, as they get positive, and my cylinders are always in trim.

Yes, it takes a bit more faffing and very high attention to detail but once dialed in, it is brilliant.

As for understanding the setup, your dive instructor should spend A LOT of time on just that. Explaining not just how to set it up but why we do it that way and how the individual parts work with one another and as a whole. A good SM course will spend and entire day on setup as well as the theory and physics behind it with some dry land drills like feathering and reg switches mixed in.

Not sure where in the UK you are but if I was in the UK, I would reach out to Garry Dallas. He is a great guy and a top tier instructor.

Thanks for all the help. Xdeep stealth tec 2.0 it is. Just deciding on weighting options. Why is it so complicated, only a choice of 4!! 😂😂

Going to go for the biggest spread 8x 1.5kg. What can possibly go wrong 👌

I'd recommend the 4x1.5 which is actually 4x2.
Don't get the double because is too wide and you can basically fit maybe 2kg more, which I'd recommend you actually palce on the harness near your lumbar.

Back
Top Bottom