Razor 4.0 v xdeep tec 2.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also believe that sliding d-rings are taught by instructors that don't have a high level understanding of the physics of sidemount. I admit, I used them and taught them until I learned from someone much better than myself how to properly setup my cylinders and waist d-rings so that I need one move per cylinder, as they get positive, and my cylinders are always in trim.

Do you have any pics of your tanks full at the beginning of the dive vs empty (~50bar) at the end of the dive?
Interested to see how well the single d ring set up works

Do you have any pics of your tanks full at the beginning of the dive vs empty (~50bar) at the end of the dive?
Sliding D ring effectiveness can vary.

Certain types of webbing can make them more or less mobile. Sometimes they will slip if the webbing is VERY hard, and if your body has enough surface area to create a straight flat section in the webbing.

Then again, if you are so skinny that your waist loop has more arc? Then even with stiff webbing your d ring will probably stick in place.

There’s also different slide mechanisms:

XDeep has a sliding ring with a roller that most folks seem to dislike.

Apex has one using a metal ring and 4mm bungee. ($25)

XDeep has a rubber ring that works with 2” webbing but is so thick that some clips wont attach easily.

Dive Rite has my favorite, a low profile ring, one side smooth one side with teeth. This allows for free movement when perpendicular but a strong bite under load.

YMMV! Play around and enjoy.

Turks setup is 2 D-rings I believe - one towards the rear and one further forward. One movement towards the lower D-ring as the tanks get light.

(Obviously this is each side of the body)

Certain types of webbing can make them more or less mobile. Sometimes they will slip if the webbing is VERY hard, and if your body has enough surface area to create a straight flat section in the webbing.

Then again, if you are so skinny that your waist loop has more arc? Then even with stiff webbing your d ring will probably stick in place.

XDeep has a rubber ring that works with 2” webbing but is so thick that some clips wont attach easily.

Dive Rite has my favorite, a low profile ring, one side smooth one side with teeth. This allows for free movement when perpendicular but a strong bite under load.

Audrey Cudel's Nano-slides are also a favorite of those who use Sliding Ds.

Agree about the sliding roller D's, I took them off after a few dives, I've replaced them with very simple but very effective single piece sliding D's from SUMP UK.

Didn't take me long without one to decide it was worth it to cut a hole and add a bit dump to mine.
I've thought about that. Is it similar to putting in a P-valve?

He mentioned he does it with one d ring, and his tanks always stay nice in trim

so that's what i am curious about
I believe he said one move per cylinder as they get lighter, that would be from the rear ring to a more forward one - hence still 2 D-Rings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom