Rear Inflate vs. Jacket for Newbies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you haven't bought any gear yet, try renting it. I didn't go this route, but it's definetely recommended. Some things look awesome on paper, or you may really like the idea of it, but in real life it just doesn't feel right. I've noticed this a lot when reading about new models of pistols, and then going in to a shop and holding one, and immediately disliking it, despite the fact I drooled over it on the internet for a week prior. Same thing with diving.

No way, much worse

Doesn't drink, so can't trust him

An none of that other chemicals stuff either

But has dived for a couple of other peoples lifetimes

Just can't speak in people, elementally speaking of course

But the one or two brews used to be in multiples and will be again.

Schizophrenia or dementia

Another vote for trying as many types as you can. As a newbie, I learned in a sloppy fitting jacket and despite warnings from that dive shop, I tried and purchased a Zeagle from another shop. It was all about fit and buoyancy trim for me. Had I found a well fitting jacket, I probably would have purchased that.

Over the years I have acquired and used jackets, back inflate and bp/w. While there are reasons for liking each, I still have and dive mostly my well worn old Zeagle.

I just did my first pool dive in my BP/W and it was awesome. I had no issues with being pushed forward whilst floating at the surface, although I was a lifeguard for 5 years so I'm pretty good at floating due to lots of time spent treading water. You just lean back slightly and you're fine.

The nice thing about a bp/w for newbs like us is that it's highly adjustable and you aren't stuck with something that can't grow with you. They aren't sized small, medium, large like a jacket BC. If you decide to lose or gain 50 pounds all you have to do is pull some webbing and your BC still fits you great. When I got in the pool yesterday my waist strap wasn't as tight as I'd like so I adjusted it. It was quick and easy in the water, even though I had to move a d-ring to do it.

n733lk
Just so you know, it's called back-inflate. Rear inflate is what happens when your tooshy dumps air into your wetsuit :wink:

When I was a brand new diver, I bought a back inflate and loved it immediately. I used it for hundreds of dives for years before replacing it with a new back inflate that I got at a great price and that had some features I liked better. That original BCD was still in excellent condition.

My primary point is that whether you choose a jacket style, a back inflate, or a BP/W, the reason for the choice has nothing to do with being a new diver. You can use any of them well right now, and you should be able to use whatever you buy well after you start thinking of yourself as experienced and skilled. It seems silly to me to buy a BCD now with the thought that you might buy a different one in a year or so when you get more skill.

I have tried lots of different brands and styles of BCDs. I'm personally not a fan of the full jacket BCD because it feels too bulky and they have a tendency to rise up on me. I was leaning toward a harnass and wing because i like the idea of being able to configure it to how i want it, the streamlined feeling and they seem to fit me better so they don't rise up.

I ended up with a back inflate travel BCD. It isn't quite the harnass approach but it has worked well on the dives I have used it.

So like everyone else I would say...try a bunch of them if possible. Do your own research. Make up your own mind based on what you want to do, not based on what a sales clerk wants to sell you. It is you that will be in the water with it!

Back
Top Bottom