Rear mounted pouch options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks FoxHound & rongoodman. The Tactical 10.6 is very similar sized to the razor then. Tactical might be the way to go granted it's half the cost of the Razor, guess all depends on shipping costs.

FoxHound - I gather there's nothing "inside" the pouch for you to clip things off?

The usual solution to generating inside clip-offs is to use a soldering iron to make a proper size hole, and then run a bungie with chunky knots on either side of it, then put a brass ring on the other end of the bungie.

Most pouches makers don't "get" that there is a need to secure the items beyond the zipper.

I have always been a big fan of the OMS large pouches since they have two zips and lots of capacity.

The tactical pouch looks good and the price is right. Instead of punching holes in it for inner gear bungies you could turn it inside out and sew a cord onto the seam binding.

Because it is a tactical pouch, there are gromits in the bottom that you can route bungee through, thats how I have it done

I use this XS Scuba Lift Bag Sleeve with great success. I use cave line to hang it from the bottom of my backplate. My crotch strap goes between me and the sleeve so I can still easily clip off a couple spools or whatever else to the D-ring back there without having to go over the sleeve and everything in it.

Because it is a tactical pouch, there are gromits in the bottom that you can route bungee through, thats how I have it done

IME, If the grommets aig enough to drain quickly, usually means the knot has to be too big, and/or the grommet hole's function as a drain gets compromised, either from being clogged with the bungie knot, or from being clogged with rocks that gets washed into the usual too large drain hole.

Even makers that make stuff purposed for underwater use tend not to get the drain hole right. I have only seen a drain size hole covered in screening on BCD drain holes. The pouch makers miss that detail usually which means sand and rocks gets in the drain at times, if it is actually large enough to function as an effective drain hole.

Which is actually another reason to use the soldering iron: to add a number of drain holes that are too small to allow much stuff in, and large enough by shear number to allow quick-ish draining.

---------- Post added April 18th, 2013 at 04:21 PM ----------

I use this XS Scuba Lift Bag Sleeve with great success. I use cave line to hang it from the bottom of my backplate. My crotch strap goes between me and the sleeve so I can still easily clip off a couple spools or whatever else to the D-ring back there without having to go over the sleeve and everything in it.

How do you get the pouch around to get stuff out of it?

Or do you only have a lift bag in there?

How do you get the pouch around to get stuff out of it?

Or do you only have a lift bag in there?

Can't bring it around to get stuff out since I have it really snug to the bottom of my backplate. I can reach in it with my right hand, although the velcro is pretty strong! I usually just keep a lift bag in it and every now and then an extra finger spool.

Can't bring it around to get stuff out since I have it really snug to the bottom of my backplate. I can reach in it with my right hand, although the velcro is pretty strong! I usually just keep a lift bag in it and every now and then an extra finger spool.

Where does your other "Stuff" go (Wetnotes and the like)?

I am in warm water so sewing onto the exposure suit does not work since there is not enough suit real estate. Plus I cannot get at leg pockets easily anyway in sidemount.

And my pouch dangling off the butt plate (thus making the pouch easy to remove and bring around front) bothers me, but I cannot find a better place for stuff. I can often handle stuff in the bag blind, by feel, so it seem like I could snug the pouch in behind me, but most of the time it is just easier to bring the whole bag forward.

Personally my lift bag goes under my buttplate (in between my body and the buttplate), but that has to do with the fact that I am using one of those OMS 10 foot mothers and they simply do not fit in any pouches of any kind.

Thanks for everyone's ideas, all very interesting re attaching internal clip off points. Will consider the options once I get the pouch. Have ordered the tactical pouch off eBay, shipping cost is prohibitive on the official website.

Do most people have these pouches hanging off the door handles? Not going to be too much of a snagging hazard? I suppose with sufficient number of items in there it won't be too floaty?

I used the dive ride pouch for a year, swapping to the Bowstone sidemount pouch due to it being more spacious and looking like it will hold together better.

Do most people have these pouches hanging off the door handles? Not going to be too much of a snagging hazard? I suppose with sufficient number of items in there it won't be too floaty?

The Razor has it hanging off a couple of drop rings on the waist belt, and I've done the same thing with the Stealth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom