Reasons NOT to use Enriched Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using nitrox IN RECREATIONAL DIVING hasn't yet lead to a significant decrease in the number of hits even when used within air limits regardless of the fact that having less nitrogen in your system is better as is obvious.

I maintain that, since there are so few hits anyway, statistics regarding lowered instances of DCS are flawed.

No,of course not.

You said:
" I'm not aware of any training that recommends diving beyond 1.4 and certainly not beyond 1.6 PPO2."

Well, stage deco training uses and recommends 1.6. for decompression. I agree this is nothing to do with basic scuba but you said ANY which is a strong word.

Thank you - You are correct and I should not have used the word "any". What I meant was basic Nitrox training and I updated the post to reflect this.

Question: Is there any reason why I should not use Enriched Air for every dive? Is there a reason why I would want to sometimes use AIR opposed to Enriched Air?
First, congratulations on starting a thread that has stimulated 70+ responses in less than 24 hrs. (The only things you might have done to further increase response would have been to add in a question as to whether PADI has a standard applicable to the issue, or whether divers using nitrox should be allowed to dive using only air-integrated computers for pressure information, without a SPG back-up, and therefore should be required to carry a Spare Air on every dive.:wink:) I had a similar belief about enriched air after I finished my nitrox course, and for a while used only nitrox. Now, I seldom use enriched air in the <40% range, except when on a dive holiday with multiple dives each day, where 'free' nitrox is included. Within recreational diving limits (to 130' for purposes of this post) you can select an enriched air mixture that has an appropriate MOD, so that is not a reason in itself for using AIR, as opposed to Enriched Air. Making certain that you calculate the MOD for a particular mixture for a planned dive, and that you dive according to planned depth is (or should be) a given. Jim Lap also brings up a good point about managing your cumulative (over several days) oxygen exposure (OTU's, or the CNS clock). But, even when diving only nitrox for a week of 4- or 5-a-day resort dives, it is hard to push those limits. For me, the primary reason for not using nitrox is simply added expense - I don't see enough benefit for most dives to justify the added cost. That, coupled with a very small element of added inconvenience (some fill stations take a bit longer to do nitrox fills, or 'batch' them during a day), leads me to use air for the vast majority of my recreational diving.

If cost is no object, use it within safe limits. It's another tool to get the job done. I see people use nitrox on 30ft. dives. To me a waste, to them, it makes them feel better, who's to say. I personally only use it in the 80-110ft. range.

...Using nitrox IN RECREATIONAL DIVING hasn't yet lead to a significant decrease in the number of hits even when used within air limits regardless of the fact that having less nitrogen in your system is better as is obvious.
Would you please supply the source of this information?
To me nitrox is more dangerous if you have the potential to drop too deep for the mix at the particular dive site you are at.
True of all breathing media including air.
Another disadvantage for nitrox divers that use partial pressure mixing..if you are ever so carelsss as to forget to check your mix, AND forget to check your pressure gage on descent...it IS possible to find yourself at 60 or 80 feet and 500 lbs of pure oxygen in your tank. It is just super, super important that nitrox divers make sure they are going down with a full tank.

when diving less than 40 feet or more than 140 I will use air. For pretty much everything in between it is nitrox.
Far enough fetched to garner a Darwin Award for those that can manage it.

Check out the 5thd-X (erm... no URD) Intro to Tech video.

It was made by one of the only people on record as having rescued a toxing diver, and that's one of the topics covered.

Interesting. Any details regarding the incident?

You missed the part about a ppO2 of 1.6 in your class, so the only dangerous thing is your reading comprehension DWayne. Before you call someone else's post dangerous, you should go back to your local elementary school to learn more about reading with commas, and probably back to your EANx instructor for a refresher too.

Since when is diving to 130ft on EAN32 or EAN40 acceptable? Since when does basic Nitrox cert only allow EAN32 or EAN40? Seems we could both do with a refresher.

What Is This Nitrox Stuff?
by
Larry "Harris" Taylor, Ph.D.

This is an electronic reprint of an article that appeared in The Flipper (Sept/Oct. 1993, p. 6-8). This material is copyrighted and all rights retained by the author. This article is made available as a service to the diving community by the author and may be distributed for any non-commercial or Not-For-Profit use.
All rights reserved.

Simply put, Nitrox is any binary mixture of nitrogen and oxygen. The air you are currently breathing is nitrox-21. (The number refers to the percentage of oxygen in the mix.) The Nitrox mixes most often encountered are NOAA Nitrox I (32% O2) and NOAA Nitrox II (36% O2). Collectively, all nitrogen-oxygen binary mixes are known as "enriched air nitrox" (EANx) or oxygen enriched air to emphasize that the O2 concentration is higher than air. One Nitrox training agency (ANDI) uses the marketing trademark of "safe air." Like the emergence of buoyancy compensators and submersible pressure gauges, the entrance of Nitrox into the sport diving community has promulgated much discussion. As such, there is an abundance of mythology surrounding the topic. Let's examine some of these myths.

Myth: Nitrox is a deep diving gas:
Absolutely false! Nitrox is used primarily to extend bottom times in the 60-90 fsw range. NOAA I has an operating depth limit of 130 fsw; NOAA II has a limit of 100 fsw.

Myth: Nitrox is a new, untested gas mix.
No! Nitrox has been successfully used in the scientific, commercial and military diving communities since 1879.

Myth: If you use this gas, you will die.
As with any diving, there are risks. The increased O2 concentration increases risk (relative to air) for oxygen toxicity at depths below 100 fsw. The use of this gas requires that divers to rigorously monitor depth and time.

Myth: If I use this gas, then I cannot be treated for bends in a chamber.
There is no medical reason for non-treatment. Oxygen "dose" is measured in OTU's (Oxygen Tolerance Units). A typical sport dive accumulates less than 150 OTU's. It has been medically accepted that humans can tolerate a daily dose of 1440 OTU's. Since a typical chamber run uses about 400 OTU's (with 600 OTU's being about max per treatment), a typical diver, especially in rigidly controlled resort situations, has more than adequate OTU reserve available for treatment.

Myth: If I use this equipment, I must purchase totally separate scuba gear and everything must be oxygen cleaned. Using Nitrox will destroy my current scuba gear.
It has been established that oxygen mixes less than 40% O2 do not require O2 cleaning. While it might be prudent, as long as O2 concentration is less than 40% there is no need for separate gear. Current scuba gear can be used with EANx. Since some gas mixes are prepared in the scuba cylinder (thus cylinder may be exposed to higher concentrations of oxygen), it is required that Nitrox cylinders be O2 cleaned and used only for nitrox.

Advantages of Nitrox

The primary component of air is nitrogen. Nitrogen is physiologically inert (not used by the body.) As such it just accumulates in tissues. Decompression schedules (obligations) are based on this accumulation of nitrogen. If we lower the percentage of nitrogen in the breathing gas mix, then we lower our tissue accumulation of nitrogen gas and decrease our risk of decompression problems.

There are two ways to utilize EANx. The first is termed the "physiological" advantage. This means breathing EANx while using whatever sport diver tables/computer (based on air) you currently use. Since you are breathing a mix that employs less nitrogen than air, you will accumulate less nitrogen than you would breathing air on the same dive profile. Since you have accumulated less nitrogen than your air table/computer has calculated, you have a "physiological" safety factor; you are at less risk for a decompression sickness hit than you would be breathing air on the same dive.

The second way to utilize EANx is termed the "decompression advantage." Since decompression schedules are based on nitrogen accumulation, divers breathing EANx (contains less nitrogen than air) will take longer to absorb a fixed amount of nitrogen. This means that divers can stay at the chosen depth longer on EANx than on air. This difference can be substantial.

No Decompression Times
stuff.1.gif

The increase in no-D time allowed in the 60-90 fsw range is the primary reason for using the gas as a breathing mix within the scientific, commercial and military diving communities.

Disadvantages

The decrease in nitrogen is accomplished by a corresponding increase in oxygen. This increases the potential for oxygen toxicity "hits." An oxygen toxicity hit may occur with no-warning with the severity of a "grand-mal-type" seizure. Such an event in sport diving gear is not considered to be survivable. It is the potential for oxygen toxicity hits that mandates absolute discipline and adherence to established diving protocols and procedures: the gas must be analyzed and found appropriate for the depth range desired (requires prior planning to establish diving limits), the depth limits of the gas mix MUST BE respected (the consequence of going too deep with EANx is the potential for in-water seizure followed by drowning), and equipment must be properly maintained.

Conclusion:

The use of gas mixes other than air is rapidly entering the recreational market. The distinct advantages of EANx for shallow water diving are substantial and will most likely give this gas a permanent place in sport diving. The disadvantages of this gas require that divers understand what they are doing and adhere to a level of discipline that is unfamiliar to many within the sport diving community. The concerns about the use of EANx in the recreational scuba community are real; the penalty of improper use can be severe. However, the key to successful EANx diving (as with all diving) is knowledge of the risks and adherence to those procedures that have been established to minimize those risks.

For those (like myself) whose diving is primarily less than 100 fsw, EANx is definitely the current breathing mix of choice. I have said it before and I will continue to preach the "gospel" according to "Harris": In ALL conceivable diving scenarios, the knowledgeable, physically fit diver has more fun! Staying at depth longer, to many, means more enjoyment of Planet Ocean. With proper training and understanding, EANx can be the doorway to more bottom-time and thus more in-water fun!

About The Author:

Larry "Harris" Taylor, Ph.D. is a biochemist and Diving Safety Coordinator at the University of Michigan. He has authored more than 100 scuba related articles. His personal dive library (See Alert Diver, Mar/Apr, 1997, p. 54) is considered one of the best recreational sources of information in North America.

Copyright 2001-2004 by Larry "Harris" Taylor
All rights reserved.
Use of these articles for personal or organizational profit is specifically denied.
These articles may be used for not-for-profit diving education.

I never learnt how to deal with a toxing diver in any of my TDI classes (Deco procedures and Normoxic trimix)
The internet has its uses :D

"Alert Diver" by DAN recently had an article about a wreck diver who switched to the wrong deco mix, and after about 10 mins he tox-ed, and he was rescued by a nearby buddy in the group, and fortunately he survived.

The main technical issue is to make sure you switch to the right mix, with lean to left, rich to right. For divers who wear all their deco tanks on the same side, switching to the wrong mix is a greater risk, and so these divers need to check each other before they switch, etc.

Secondarily, if your dive plan approches the Ox Tox limit (set arbitrarily as the equivalent of ppO2 of 1.6 for 45 mins, adjusted for depth and ppO2), then you need to take a back-gas break of 5 mins.

So, step 1, avoid getting into ox-tox trouble.

Step 2, to rescue an ox-toxed seizuring diver, put his reg back into his mouth, do your own deco, and bring him back up to the surface with you.

I am actually surprised that the guy in the article did not drown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom