Rebreather diving and being 'technical'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar:
You have two people taking a rebreather course....one has worked on cars all their life and the other has worked as a history teacher. Both are excellent OC divers with pretty much the same diving experience and knowledge.

Seeing the insides of a rebreather with the hoses, orings, connectors etc etc...doesnt really phase the car mechanic but intimidates the heck out of the history teacher.

For those of you that have taken a CCR class, at the end of class when its time to go diving will there be a 'stronger' diver among the two assuming they both equally understood the aspects of the course?

Thanks,

Jason

Statement/Fact: Both are excellent OC divers with pretty much the same diving experience and knowledge.

1: Both divers have equal ability

Statement/Fact: Seeing the insides of a rebreather with the hoses, orings, connectors etc etc...doesnt really phase the car mechanic but intimidates the heck out of the history teacher.

2: History teacher is initimidated by RB hardware

Only possible conclusion :wink: : History teacher will bag out of the class, while the mechanic lubricates oxygen seals with crude oil.

Thanks for the thoughts.

As far as maintenance goes, if they are dive buddies and one is stronger with the mechanics of things and the other observes..I dont see anything wrong with one taking the lead as far as that goes.

But for actually inwater knowledge of the system....I dont see where either has an advantage along as they both come away with a pretty equal amount of knowledge from the course. Although maybe not clear in my original post...I was mostly concerned with actual in water usage of the device and not the maintenance of the unit as far as replacing parts. The pre/post dive maintenance is another story and both divers need to do their own checks.

Thanks

J

I don't necessarily think there is any inherent advantage to either. It just depends on the individual. My degree is an MBA but I still like to know how everything works. It all depends on the individuals.

gcbryan:
I don't necessarily think there is any inherent advantage to either. It just depends on the individual. My degree is an MBA but I still like to know how everything works. It all depends on the individuals.

Exactly. A summarizing statement to an otherwise inane query. X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom