Rebreather support on Bonarie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It does look weirld and not like a dive shop. However, I have noticed that some of the more upmarket shops are now promoting their trips as 'expeditions' or 'projects' rather than just group trips or dive packages.
I contacted a place that was looking for cave divers for some 'project' on fb. It turned out to be a dive shop selling (very pricey) dive packages (fills, boat, etc.). What they were really looking for was customers.

Don't know if that's what they're doing but it sounds alot like stuff I've been seeing.
I think you're going to see this more and more.
When you click on 'Exploration' it show the Windjammer and some reef. AFAIK the Windjammer has been dived on plenty over many years.
Pretty much my thoughts. It’s a cool name and makes the business seem prestigious. But I think it could have a negative effect on business. Obviously I dive gue and a gue style ccr so I would be typically be a natural client for them. But the wording of the site and all the “research” and “expedition” stuff makes it feel like am I really the client they want when all I really need is a couple ccr and bailout tanks?
I really liked mr g when we met and he was great to work with. He would normally be my first choice as a shop and I wouldn’t have probably posted this question. But when I found his site and started reading, that’s what made me actually come here to ask about other places. I will still reach out to him but I’m actually leaning towards trying tds this time around.

But I think it could have a negative effect on business.
I think you know Harold. The guy in Lot.
He told me that he doesn't do fills or rents gear to people that don't stay at his place because renting tanks and filling tanks doesn't make money and isn't worth the efford.

I'm guessing, based on how the website looks, they maybe rather just sell classes and guiding ('expeditions') etc. rather than renting and filling tanks for random divers.

Pretty much my thoughts. It’s a cool name and makes the business seem prestigious. But I think it could have a negative effect on business. Obviously I dive gue and a gue style ccr so I would be typically be a natural client for them. But the wording of the site and all the “research” and “expedition” stuff makes it feel like am I really the client they want when all I really need is a couple ccr and bailout tanks?
I really liked mr g when we met and he was great to work with. He would normally be my first choice as a shop and I wouldn’t have probably posted this question. But when I found his site and started reading, that’s what made me actually come here to ask about other places. I will still reach out to him but I’m actually leaning towards trying tds this time around.
I am sure after you get in contact with Mr. G you will be good to go. They really seem to go above and beyond with support. I remember I was getting ready to do a dive and a group of divers in one of the northern sites and one of them had a problem with an oxygen bottle. Jimmy drove a new bottle and an analyzer and met them at Karpata to save their dive. The drive back was experience as Jimmy took the short cut which isn't a road.

AFAIK the Windjammer has been dived on plenty over many years.
Yes, but it requires permits and preferably guides. It is not an "open" shore site.

He told me that he doesn't do fills or rents gear to people that don't stay at his place because renting tanks and filling tanks doesn't make money and isn't worth the efford.

I'm guessing, based on how the website looks, they maybe rather just sell classes and guiding ('expeditions') etc. rather than renting and filling tanks to random divers.
Haha, maybe they need to get Seaskin to design their site...

I'm guessing, based on how the website looks, they maybe rather just sell classes and guiding ('expeditions') etc. rather than renting and filling tanks for random divers.
Funny you say that because I fully equated it to Harald’s place. His place is awesome and he’s a great guy. But when you’re there he’s up all hours filling gasses. Even years ago when I was last there he only filled for guests. I was surprised when I heard that too, but considering how much work he puts in for his guests it’s not surprising. It’s like a full service all inclusive dive hotel. Besides dealing with tanks he’s also prepping meals and making sure his guests have everything they want.

And I agree that based on the website it doesn’t look like they’re forte is slinging rental gear, but more classes and guided tech dives

Funny enough - i am at Area 9 right now.
1. Something that is most important for me - project activity. The “some reef” thing - i think we have located and documented probably the nicest deep reef in the area - starting at 105 meters and getting deeper. We are planning to run multiple deep video and photo transacts there as soon as it is open for diving - as it is a pretty interesting location for deep coral studies.

2. Support - they are totally capable of supporting everything from recreational to mixed gas and ccr diving, and offer DPVs and other fancy stuff for rent. Due to class cancellation i am “stuck” here for an extra week - and having a blast. Facebook photo dump is incoming.

Best regards
Kirill Egorov
GUE Tech 2, Cave 2, CCR 2 instructor /IE
GUE Cave Training Admin, BOD

Funny enough - i am at Area 9 right now.
1. Something that is most important for me - project activity. The “some reef” thing - i think we have located and documented probably the nicest deep reef in the area - starting at 105 meters and getting deeper. We are planning to run multiple deep video and photo transacts there as soon as it is open for diving - as it is a pretty interesting location for deep coral studies.

2. Support - they are totally capable of supporting everything from recreational to mixed gas and ccr diving, and offer DPVs and other fancy stuff for rent. Due to class cancellation i am “stuck” here for an extra week - and having a blast. Facebook photo dump is incoming.

Best regards
Kirill Egorov
GUE Tech 2, Cave 2, CCR 2 instructor /IE
GUE Cave Training Admin, BOD
Hey thanks Kirill. That's the type of info that's helpful and what I was looking for.
I agree I'd prefer to support shops that use their skills to better local diving through projects, exploration, research, or education. I assumed that's what was going on there, but as we've noted the website is very nice, but doesn't convey the entirety of what they do/don't offer.
Do they have Lola'd 50s or 40s that aren't being used by their units for people to rent? We're diving fathoms set up in the tec/GUE-JJ style so although slinging a 40 for rec limit dives is easier, having the option of lola'd tanks so I don't have to reconfigure my unit before and after the trip is kind of nice.

Back
Top Bottom