Recommendations for Dive Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jawbone:
My favorite is the Vr3. The last computer you'll ever need.

Probably, but most people cannot/would not spend that much on a dive computer.

Having used the Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus, Cochran Gemini, various models of the Cochran Commander, Suunto Cobra and currently an Oceanic Atom extensively, as well as the occasional Suunto Favor, UWATEC Aladin and Mares Nemo, IMHO a Cochran Commander (1 mix nitrox - I don't like Cochran's "automatic gas switching" feature) is the best of the bunch; it does not have any features that you won't need, is simple to operate and very rugged.

I have the Cobra, a hose-connected air-integrated computer. Mine was the "Pro Pack" (ok, yeah, whatever) which includes all the optional stuff like a very nice integrated compass, quick release, and computer download cable w/ software.

This is one great computer for recreational diving, especially for a newer diver or the occasional diver. It shows you everything you need to see, when you need to see it. For example, since it is air integrated and calculates your air usage on the fly -- in addition to your NDL -- it automatically displays the shorter of remaining air time or NDL time.

Like all of the Suuntos except the Gekko, it is PC downloadable, has a simulation mode in addition to the planning mode, and a nice backlight. The download cables still use serial ports :rolleyes: but serial-to-usb connectors work.

Like any Suunto, its conservative but mostly for dive plan mistakes such as fast ascents, reverse profiles, too short surface intervals. It automatically shows you your safety stops, and it has an easy to use ascent rate monitor with a *safe* rate which not all computers do.

IMO, ascents are the one place where a wrist computer on your right hand would be a bit easier, but that takes all of about one or two ascents to get used to. Other than that, if you are already used to holding a console in your left hand you will immediate like this computer, and the integrated compass is especially usable, not just an afterthought.

The optional quick release is technically YAFP (yet another failure point) but it lets you take the computer with you without dragging around your whole reg setup like other consoles. You can buy the Cobra either way, going without the quick release will definitely save some cash, but I'd say to definitely get the integrated compass.

OTOH, if you don't like consoles or aren't used to how you have to take care of one (either holding it, keeping it somehow clipped off, or otherwise off reefs, rocks, silt, docks, boat decks, etc. like we all should anyway) then this probably wouldn't make a good choice, since it is expensive as all getout.

has anyone tried the oceanic veo 200? I compared the tech specs on one site and found that it has all of the same alarms and warnings/features of the versa pro...but when i called my lds, they said they were vastly different. im assuming theyre different because for starters the price is a big leap, and because my dive shop said that ( :06: ) so what could be different about them? theyre both air/nitrox

I guess I still like my suunto vyper and would still recommend it.

I think that air-integrated is a little too expensive, and I worry that it'll let you get sloppy on gas management.

The suunto's algorithm is conservative but it gives you credit for deep stops and slow ascents. If I go a few mins into deco, it'll give me a 10 fsw ceiling, but it usually clears after a few mins at 50 fsw. It can be kind of annoying on repetetive diving and reverse profiles though. Might get to be a real pain on a liveaboard, but you can switch it to gauge mode.

I just finished my first week of diving with my new Oceanic Versa Pro and I'm already in love with it. Easy to read, easy to find what you want (planning or logging your dives), easy to change the settings when needed. I don't do nitrox as yet, but it's ready if I ever decide to do so. And I won't have an air integrated computer, so that isn't an issue for me.

For me, the decision between the VEO 200 and the Versa Pro, was easy... after the instant rebate on my old USD Monitor 2, the price was about the same. :wink:

but what ARE the differences between the versa pro and the veo 200? besides price I mean

thanks
-Matt

I am more than happy with my Suunto D9. I wear it day in day out. Has evreything you will need and then some. Besides it looks great too :)
I
have not met anyone who dives Suunto and has not wanted to steal it!

I love my Suunto Cobra. I've used the Suunto Vyper and liked that as well. I like the ability to upload my dives to my personal computer and check out my old dives; specifically its pretty neat to go back and click on any point in your dive and see how deep you were, how many minutes into your dive you were, your air time left etc.

Sherwood Wisdom, my first and only dive computer! I love it!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom