Recommendations for first BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, love your handle, see you have a big ego!:rofl3: Welcome to the Board. My two cents worth. A similar but slightly better choice to the Knighthawk is the Aqualung Black Diamond. It is almost exactly the same price as the Knighthawk. If you can get afford the Black Diamond or the Knighthawk, get one. They will last you for a life time. Those are A1 BCs. From the rest of your list I recommend the Seaquest Latitude XLT Silver. That is an excellent BC and is considerably less expensive. If you get the XLT Silver make sure it has the
optional, lower right pull dump, p/n 42754, if you prefer head-first descents. (I like having a dump there anyway, habit picked up as a skydiver...)

To get a little more technical (I don't mean tekkie), the back inflate, etc argument is about whether an unconscious diver will find him or herself face down on the surface with the BC inflated and having removed his weight belts or integrated weights. As a diver with relatively low experience you should avoid those BCs. The Black Diamond and the Knighthawk will float you face up. The Seaquest will do it if you put the weights (counterweights) in the little pockets that go on the side of the tank. Hopefully you will never need your BC to be your life preserver, but why be face down in an emergency on the surface if you can avoid it?

Haha, thanks. My handle doesn't refer to me, it refers to what I carry around with me. I've started to build myself a reputation as the only moron who shows up to dive with all of his stuff in garbage bags.

Are the Knighthawk and Black Diamond designed differently than the other back-inflates on the list? You mentioned that those would float me face up, but the others would need the counterweights on the tank.

OK, Generally speaking the issue is that the use of counterweights will float an unconscious diver in a face up position on the surfacebin a number of BCs (not all). I have used the Black Diamond and can vouch for this. I have not used a Knighthawk, so maybe you should talk to someone who has one or can even lend it to you to try. What you want to do is be on the surface with your buddy, have your BC inflated a. just enough to keep you on the surface and b. positively buoyant in both cases with the front mounted weights out and your mask on and reg in your mouth. Play dead. Do you go on your face or on your back?

I just switched from a Seaquest Pro QD to a Black Diamond. I love the back inflate but I have noticed that if I do not lean back that it will slowly lean me forward. The less air in the BC the less this is apparent as the air sits up by your shoulders. I do not find it to be a problem at all.

Gaffer

I just switched from a Seaquest Pro QD to a Black Diamond. I love the back inflate but I have noticed that if I do not lean back that it will slowly lean me forward. The less air in the BC the less this is apparent as the air sits up by your shoulders. I do not find it to be a problem at all.

Gaffer
How much weight are you putting in the back pockets?

I read on here that the back inflating BCD's can knock you face down into the water, while others said that happens with too much air and improper weighting. Which is accurate?

Well, the latter. I have never been knocked face down into the water by my BP/W back inflate BCD. I do, however, enjoy laying on my back and swimming like an otter. It's much faster and easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much weight are you putting in the back pockets?

I have been leaving the back pockets empty. I have been just using the surelock front pouches.

Gaffer

What are you thinking? Joking aside - Asking divers to give opinions about their equipment is like asking them to give opinions on religion. One hundred divers will likely result in one hundred brand names. I have always thought that you should chose a local LDS that you are comfortable with and try a couple of brands and configurations. Very few models have inherent flaws, so after trying a couple - pick one. The important thing is that you have a place to take it back to for service and inspections along with your regs. FYI - I have a Mares Morphos Air-Trim, holds 24lbs when I dive dry suit. Love it

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been leaving the back pockets empty. I have been just using the surelock front pouches.

Gaffer
That is where the danger lies. The whole point of the back pockets is that you put weight in them. Say 4lbs/2 kgs in EACH pocket? That way if we have to pull out your surelock front pouches (we are presumably going to be saving your life or similar when we make that decision) you will float face up. :acclaim:

I used the rental jacket style before I shifted to a back inflate Zeagle Brigade. I'm pretty new to diving, but I found a world of improvment going to the back inflate style. I'm not going back unless the airlines loose my gear (again!).

I've not got my weight allocated quite right yet, so I'm a little face forward if I'm on the surface too long, but I've found that if I lay on my back I'm much happier, and it takes very little effort to stay that way and I just relax.

Back
Top Bottom