Recommendations for first BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The rear inflation might tip you forward at the surface.Just lay backwards some.I dont float on the surface very long anyway and would rather be horizontal while swimming.Integrated weight systems rule.No more weight belts for me.

I used a Sherwood Avid during my OW training and felt constricted on the surface.
What I have now is a Sherwood Tortuga. It is a hybrid back inflator. On the surface I have no problems staying vertical but can lay on my back easily if I should want to. At depth I trim out well and get a good horizontal swim.
My wife has started her OW training. First pool session she tried a jacket style BC her instructor had available. (my gear was getting it's annual checkup) She wasn't so happy with it. She completed her pool training last weekend using my BC & regs and said she was much more comfortable with my kit. Saturday I took her out looking at BCs we stopped at 3 LDS and when all was said and done she decided she likes my Sherwood Tortuga.
That's fine with me I get to go look for my next kit. I'm thinking along the lines of BP/wing

Okay, my $0.02. I'm in the process of completing my OW certification this weekend and using an Oceanic Excursion. First of all, I like the simplicity of this BCD it does however throw me forward on the surface even with an X7-100 steel tank and 22 lbs. of weight (3 lbs. on both back pockets and 8 lbs. on each integral pockets) with a 7mm jumpsuit. A little leaning to the back takes care of this issue, but this is all in the pool. I'll get more feel of this BCD this weekend and will post the result. I have a feeling that I still need to play around properly weighing myself. I was actually looking at the Mares Dragon and Black Diamond, but the price I got for the Excursion is unbeatable.

Personally I did not like the squeeze of jacket style, then again rental gear is not the best. I have a zeagle scout and sherwood freedom and enjoy the non-constrictiveness of the back inflate. bottom line try then buy what works best for you. some people are mac and some are pc.
my 2 cents.

I read on here that the back inflating BCD's can knock you face down into the water, while others said that happens with too much air and improper weighting. Which is accurate?

It may feel a bit like you are being pushed forward if you switch from a vest to a wing type BCD but within a few dives you will be used to the new balance and it is no problem. Just a bit like getting a new car - takes a while to get the feel of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you buying, a piece of gear for diving or a life preserver? If you want a life preserver buy a big cushy jacket, if you want something to function best while diving consider something a little more minimal. Personally I don't think the back inflates do much for trim anyway, because while you're diving you will have minimal air in the bladder, and of course that air is going to rise to the highest point regardless of whether the bladder wraps around you or not. The thing that is most likely to affect trim is weight placement, unless you're diving with a full air bladder, which I suppose at maximum depth with a thick wetsuit is at least possible. Even in that situation I believe weight location is more influential on trim. So, getting some of the weight up and on your back can be very helpful, either with built in trim pockets, cam band pockets, or,,,,errrr, dare I say it....a steel backplate.

The nice thing about back inflates is that they tend to have less junk wrapped around you and so feel more streamlined and less constrictive. If they made a back inflate with built in cam band pockets and small pockets right near the tank at the bottom, plus no idiotic cummerbund and simple webbing for a harness, I'd buy one.

I would go with a Zeagle of some sort, maybe a Brigade??..I have the Scout & it floats me nicely with a steel hp 120 with a few pounds of weight when needed.......

A good all rounder is the Buddy Commando (pro i think), very durable, well designed and has sufficient D rings and usable pockets. Also has good lift capacity for a jacket inflate (not a wing).
I use a wing now, but my buddy still has his commando and would never change. They are also good when the jacket needs some repairs after say 10 years heavy use. Hope you can get them over the pond.

I have used a scubapro glide 2000, it was OK, but i hate integrated weight system BCD', would always opt for a weight belt. Make sure the size is right, slightly large is better than slightly small in my humble opinion!!

cheers

Mike

If they made a back inflate with built in cam band pockets and small pockets right near the tank at the bottom, plus no idiotic cummerbund and simple webbing for a harness, I'd buy one.

Why not just a BP/W with the pockets which fit on the waistband?

Why not just a BP/W with the pockets which fit on the waistband?

That's what I have. If I could find the right minimal BC as I described, I'd use it on the rare occasion I get to dive with steel tanks in warm water. With my steel plate, I'm more or less neutral in a 3 mil with an AL80. A HP100 would put me at least 6 lbs negative. I could also get a plastic or AL plate, the new oxycheq 9.6 oz plastic travel plate looks pretty cool.

But, this thread is about standard BCs, you know, the things that were designed to be life jackets with a tank attached. Sorry, I meant life jackets/fishing vests with tank attached. Pretty soon you'll be able to get them monogrammed with a waterproof ipod pocket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom