Recommendations for first BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

try the TUSA Platina Evolution

Tabata USA, Inc. : BCJ-5560 PLATINA EVOLUTION CUBIC [BCJ-5560] - $0.00

I bought it as my first BC several years back .. I own a Halcyon BP/W which I use regularly when diving dry. BP/W is obviously the better choice if you plan on diving doubles ... but for 50min AL 80-St 100 dives buy a solid BC like the TUSA line or if you can afford it get the DUI Delta ...it has a built in crotch strap that keeps your BC snug and always in place even when in a nose dive.

However today I dove wet in a 7mm and busted out my BCJ-5560 just because time was tight. Talk about comfortable and easy to use ...forgot how great it truly is. Also this idea that you are less streamlined in a jacket style is bull ... I was cruising through the water at depth and my SAC was even slightly better than when I dive dry w/ my BP/W. I also take it with me when I travel and it packs very tight for a jacket bc ....

Just a thought

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...ceanic-fx-pro-l-size-bc-sale.html#post3595120

BOC, For a first BC assuming you take size L mine is still available. Almost new condition- PM if interested.

[/url]
Hey everyone, I'm fairly new to diving and was planning on buying my first BCD since I'm already tired of rental gear. So far the only 2 manufacturers that I'm familiar with are ScubaPro and Oceanic, and I was looking for some suggestions for BCD's from those or any other company.
I intend to stick with a single tank, I will be diving in warm and cold water so I need a BCD that can hold a fair amount of weight (I use 22 lbs in salt water with a 5mm wetsuit), I like being vertical when I'm at the surface and waiting to get back on the boat, and I'm looking for something with usable storage space.
I read on here that the back inflating BCD's can knock you face down into the water, while others said that happens with too much air and improper weighting. Which is accurate? Someone else stated that you sit lower in the water horizontally with that style also. Is using a snorkel still possible at the surface?
Is anyone familiar with the so-called "hybrid" BCD's that function as a back-inflate and somewhat of a jacket(Atmos LX)?
I was thinking about the ScubaPro Knighthawk, Oceanic Islander(not sure if it'll hold enough weight for me), Atmos LX, Seaquest Latitude, ScubaPro Glide Plus, or Zeagle Bridade. Any Feedback on any of these or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope I don't get flamed for this
BUT if you didn't already know FYI
June is sale month at sports chalet and they have a SeaQuest Latitude XLT for $299
If I end up in a pinch gear wise I can save about $200 by getting it instead of the BP/W I want.

Using a snorkel is not a problem with a back inflate BCD, at least not with mine.

I recently lost a fight with current, and wound up on the surface, a couple hundred yards from the boat low on air. I decided to save what was left, and use the snorkel on the swim back.

Not my favorite thing to do, but after a few adjustments, the snorkel worked just fine.

I notice a slight forward push, compared to a jacket style BCD, a little less air and a slight change in posture handles it easily.

For the record, I have a Scubapro Knighthawk, and I am very pleased with it.

Comfort is key. I prefer a back inflate since is naturally puts in a more streamlined position and is not as restrictive. My wife prefers a jacket style since she is still pretty new and doesn't feel comfortable with the positioning of back inflate on the surface and she finds the jacket more comfortable. Best advice is try some on and see what works for you. Also what features you are looking for. I liked the TUSA Imprex Pro Cubic because it had plenty of D-rings so I can look like a Christmas tree when I'm diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom