Recommendations for Travel BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ive heard bits and pieces about the Zeagle Zeus and have one ordered. There have been a handful of complaints but most of the complaints I have read have been about the complexity of the design and to my knowledge (Disclaimer there) I have not read anything about them failing.

I did want the aqualung Zuma because of its portability but after so many negative reviews of bladder failure I opted to stay with a brand I knew and trusted which was Zeagle.

Keep in mind ordering any travel BCD though that they are what they are. They are designed to be portable and in doing so there has to be a comprimise between portability and durability. to be more portable you loose durability. To be more durable your going to loose some portability.

Keep in mind ordering any travel BCD though that they are what they are. They are designed to be portable and in doing so there has to be a comprimise between portability and durability. to be more portable you loose durability. To be more durable your going to loose some portability.

:confused:

There's no correlation between "portability" and "durability." Certainly not as such a sweeping generality.

There are two ways to reduce bulk and weight in a BCD.

1) Reduce the ruggedness by using lightweight materials.

2) Reduce the complexity by minimalising.

Why do so many BCD manufacturers feel obliged to use the first method? Do they honestly believe that we need all those buckles, clips, d-rings and fancy attachments?

The principle of K.I.S.S. is champion is so many areas of science, sport and other innovation. Why does this seem so alien to the majority of the scuba manufacturing industry?

:confused:

There's no correlation between "portability" and "durability." Certainly not as such a sweeping generality.

Most certainly not until you put it into perspective. Then when you think about it then you realize there is :D

Last edited:
What he means is: rather than dispensing with all the superflous clutter on their BCDs, they try and make them more lightweight by utilising paper-thin, Easy-Rip(tm) fabrics...

Exactly. People buy a bcd or BPW set up thats geared toward the cave diver who wants to carry 2 or 3 of everything and decides to get the largest lights, reels, smb, flare gun, inflatable raft and a bunch of other gear so they can travel somewhere and do a typical recreational dive that simply goes along the coral reef. In most travel scenarios people arent going to be doing alot of this particular type of diving (Though yes there are the few who seek adventure and go looking for cave diving and things of that nature) yet they have a bcd designed to carry the world with them.

Instead of making a paper thin material bcd they should take a heavier grade material that (Even my Zeagle rangers bladder is flexible) and attach it to a bare minimum harness set up with maybe a couple of weight pouches and at best 2 d-rings. this would be enough for well over 3/4 of what a a traveler seeking a portable bcd are looking for.

As to the portability to durability comment though for those who were confused you have to compare it to that of a car. When you want a powerful truck that can pull a boat anywhere with 4 wheel drive one has to remember to obtain that type of power you have to have a heavy enough frame to stand up to the towing demands and a heavy enough transmission to pull it with. Then you have to have a powerful enough motor to provide that power. All this is great and everything you could want when your pulling that much weight. But when you are not pulling or hauling anything the sheer weight alone of all that heavy duty is going to still pull gas mileage down to sub desirable levels.

This is the same principle I was trying to make with the bcds. Having a heavy duty bcd is awesome for cave diving and tech diving but to buy one of those and lug it to the airport in a checked bag because its just to bulky to put into a carry on (which in turn reduces available space for clothing and so forth and requires an additional bag at extra $) just is not feasable to most of us working folks. Instead of buying that top of the line do it all bcd buy one that has just the bare minimum for what you will be using it for and save money on all those price gougers at the airport. But dont buy bcd that has a paper bladder and all the bells and whistles and expect it to be the answer all to your travel needs because as the Zuma has demonstrated it just does not work out well in the end.

I have no problems with my BP/W in a carry on bag like this Akona Evolution Roller Bag I have a steel back plate and 6lbs tank adapter on it.

I am also able to put my regs, lights, and dive computers in with no problem. A fellow diver from my LDS even suggested to keep a copy of the manufacturer's catalog in the bag just in case TSA has any questions. Be sure to put your dive knife in your checked luggage

Hope that helps

Last edited:
What he means is: rather than dispensing with all the superflous clutter on their BCDs, they try and make them more lightweight by utilising paper-thin, Easy-Rip(tm) fabrics...

So what he means is that sh--ty BCD's are not durable. That I can buy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom