Recommendations for Travel BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What he means is: rather than dispensing with all the superflous clutter on their BCDs, they try and make them more lightweight by utilising paper-thin, Easy-Rip(tm) fabrics...

I absolutely agree.

The AQ Zuma is a great example. I really like the design, but AQ skimped on the materials to the point where to me it looked like a failure waiting to happen. I bet beefing it up and making it more durable would add maybe a pound. That would have been a pound well worth it.

Which is why I went with Zeagle. I don't have to worry about accidentally snapping a chest strap or ripping the bladder when I'm 6,000 miles from home on vacation.

I live in Thailand.

I will be in the US from late May until mid-June. I want to order a travel BCD to be delivered to my sister's house in California. I had pretty much decided on a Zeagle Express Tech, but it seems that my delivery deadline cannot be met.

Second choice was a SB Litehawk, but it seems that cannot be sent to a US (or Thai) address.

I guess my next choice would be the Dive Rite TravelPac.

Any further thoughts?

I live in Thailand.

I will be in the US from late May until mid-June. I want to order a travel BCD to be delivered to my sister's house in California. I had pretty much decided on a Zeagle Express Tech, but it seems that my delivery deadline cannot be met.

Second choice was a SB Litehawk, but it seems that cannot be sent to a US (or Thai) address.

I guess my next choice would be the Dive Rite TravelPac.

Any further thoughts?

I dont see why it wouldnt be met in time. You still have nearly 2 to 3 weeks and most places that stock it can have it to the door in less then 5 days. Try leisurepr, scubatoys, scuba.com. Surely one of them would have it in stock.

It appears that Zeagle has had trouble getting materials for the wings and other stuff. See this thread:

Zeagle Back Orders

Scuba Toys:
This product has been deactivated, because it is out of stock temporarily, or has been discontinued by the manufacturer.

Leisure Pro:
OUT OF STOCK / notify me when in stock

To be frank, I don't have enough confidence to order this given my limited delivery window.

It appears that Zeagle has had trouble getting materials for the wings and other stuff.

Wow I was not aware there was a problem with marterials :confused: Im at a loss then maybe call ahead to one of the local Dive shops in here area and ask what they have. If they have it in stock maybe and will hold it you could wire your sister some money and have her pick it up?

Wish I could offer more help.

Ordinarily I'd be willing to just wait, but I usually take advantage of visits to the US to load up on stuff that is expensive or unavailable in Thailand. This trip it's dive gear since I just started diving again after a long hiatus. It's just unfortunate that Zeagle's supply problems corresponded with my trip 'home'.

Look into Oxycheq or DSS. These are modular, but both companies produce gear that would be excellent as a light-weight, rugged travel BCD.

We should all keep in mind that frequent travelers should have a travel protection. Traveling without travel insurance is very risky that why it is advisable to get cheap travel insurance as much as possible to get the benefits of having insurance policy during trip.

For travel I use the OxyCheq 18 Extreme Wing, the OxyCheq Ultralight (fabric) Back Plate, and a Hog Harness as my travel package. For weight pockets I used 4 of the OxyCheq small mesh weight pockets; two on the top tank band and two on the waist belt. I only needed 8lb.s of lead total.
Crotch strap really isn't needed in this rig but I was using it mainly to clip my reel and smb to the rear d-ring.

I was more concerned with size of the overall package rather than weight. The AL Zuma is as thin as my SMB... so I passed on that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom