Recommendations on a gear bag.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... if you have a good bag, dont be shy to list it here ...

I use an old US Army duffle bag. Thick canvas, OD color (dk green). My dad (career Army) gave it to me when I left for college in the early 1970's. It had already been used hard when I took possession of it. It's traveled quite a bit all these years. Camping, diving. Air, train, car. It's tough, relatively light in weight, collapses small when empty, can be washed periodically in a washing machine, doesn't draw attention, is convenient to carry (due to its built-in handle and shoulder strap). Probably can be obtained at an army surplus store for a song.

I can pack everything in it, even when diving dry, even my regulators and gauges (though I generally pack these with my mask and swimsuit in a smaller, hand-carried, padded bag that doesn't leave my sight).

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Get the biggest one that your wife can carry so it's not too long and she drags it on the ground.

If this doesn't work out well, get a taller Sheila.

Consider all the important parameters.

BTW- You got any Military Surplus stores there down under?

For 30 years now, I've only used the (cheaper---maybe 20 bucks??/) mesh ones---in fact, my Stahlsac that I'm currently using in well over 20 years old & still going strong......Here's a pic of it drying out on Bonaire from a couple summers ago(the red & blue bag hanging on the upstairs railing)........

EDIT:.I use it for diving only-ie no airline baggage etc etc etc...

14316191254_6cf510a37d_z.jpg
[/URL]Our unit @ Buddy's by GEAUXtiger, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
I hesitate to post because you said you wanted a shoulder strap, but I really like the Armor rolling mesh duffel:

164 Rolling Mesh Duffel | Armor Products, LLC

It's a rubberized mesh so it holds up really well, and will fit a full set of dive gear, including weights. If I travel internationally I usually put the mesh duffel inside of a larger travel bag with my clothes, etc. Then have this to use as a boat/dunk bag on the other end.

Thank you, that is a good idea.

Scuba7,

I should add: I use a simple, lightweight, top-zippered, quick-drying, nylon duffel to actually dive out of. I use the canvas army duffel to travel my dive gear. The nylon duffel is folded and packed inside the army duffel (along with my dive gear) when traveling. When I arrive at the hotel or dive boat, I transfer my dive gear from the army duffel to the nylon duffel. The top zipper makes it much easier to dive out of, especially when diving on a small and/or crowded dive boat.

Save Diving,

rx7diver

I've got 2 bags I use. If I'm not flying everything goes into a large REI mesh duffel bag. It's got a full length #10 plastic zipper, full sized pockets at both ends (One mesh, one solid for stuff you want to keep out of sight). I can fit fins, ranger LTD bc, 2 reg bags, 5mm full suit and all the rest of my gear in it with ease. I use that any time I'm not flying.

If I'm flying, I've got a 29" "Airlight" suitcase. All the gear fits in it, and I stay well below the 50# limit. I like the idea that it provides a bit of extra protection to the gear by being fairly rigid. It also has the advantage that it doesn't scream "Expensive Scuba Gear Inside". When I fly, the reg, mask and DC go in my carry on. I also toss the mesh duffel in the suitcase (takes no room at all), and then I've got a great boat / transport bag at my destination.

IF I travel with weights (and that's only if it's a car trip) I have a dedicated weight bag from XS Scuba. For me the extra sturdy construction and super heavy handle is worth it. I tried using a mesh backpack for the weights, always felt like it was on the verge of self destructing.

Just my .02.

Steve

BTW- You got any Military Surplus stores there down under?

Yes. Something to check out.
We have target and K mart but they are about half the size of walmart.

---------- Post added February 14th, 2015 at 08:45 AM ----------

My large mesh Stahlsac works well.

Thanks, sounds like the way to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom