Recommendations on a gear bag.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing I've learned the hard way toting all kinds of gear. Look very closely at how straps / handles/ anchor points are sewn in.

I've had a number of bags that failed because the handles were only sewn in an inch or two. I look for ones that either are sewn all the way around the bottom or at least down to the bottom piece. That's one thing about true military surplus gear, it may not be pretty, is usually not light, but it's well constructed.

The first thing I did with my family's duffle bags with hide-away shoulder straps and a removable single over the shoulder strap was bring them to my parachute rigger and have him sew all of the weight bearing seams and connecting points with bar tacks and X in Square reinforcements. It added a bit of expense to the duffle bags, but my LDS sold them to me on a 50% off sale. In the past, I have had too many bag straps fail on the first use or soon there after at most inopportune times.

Incidentally, almost all locations have skydiving drop zones nearby and most DZ's have certified riggers who are specifically trained, tested, and FAA licensed to perform specific repairs to load bearing webbing and materials, grommet replacement, and other repairs similar to scuba applications. So if you need repairs and are not sure where to go, you may want to check at your local DZ . However, be cautioned that skydiving can be as addictive as scuba.

Last edited:
That's one thing about true military surplus gear, it may not be pretty, is usually not light, but it's well constructed.

Agree Steve.
Tried Target today but they had nothing even close.

---------- Post added February 15th, 2015 at 05:15 PM ----------

So if you need repairs and are not sure where to go, you may want to check at your local DZ . However, be cautioned that skydiving can be as addictive as scuba.

Good point, thanks.
Something to keep in mind in the future.

If it is heavier than 1kg, I am not interested.
A duffle bag lined with an extra layer of old camping foam mattress.
I don't want to show everyone that I am a scuba diver so any logo is to be avoided.

I use a bag by Ortlieb with a "dry sack" -style top. No zippers to rust, break or add expense. Unlike many bags this is seriously waterproof: it can sit in several inches of water and have heavy spray hit it all day and your gear is still dry. The waterproof bag means I can set dry stuff on a set boat deck & let the spray wash over it while still havinga dry undersuit inside. It also means I can put wet gear inside and lift the bag onto the rear seat of my car for the long drive home. The two I have have (for 2 divers) been in use for 5 yrs already, maybe 60 drive-to-dives a year. Still 100% waterproof. I do carry 2-3 drink bottles (2-3 kg) and cannister light battery packs (1-2 kg) in the bags but never weights; I find weight belts too easy to carry as a belt with the buckle shut and also because the weight belt is always stored elsewhere both on the boat and in my car.

It had an end-to-end shoulder strap and shorter straps are confortable even when the bag is heavy/quite heavy. The short straps actually also fit between your armpit and shoulder for carrying in tight spaces or where it is difficult to balance. AND I like the fact that these come in many colors (love the canary yellow) so even if you or your buddies own several, you can see immediately whose is whose, or where the bag is that has exactly that item. I use the 89L but the bag is available in many sizes. Usually sold as a duffle for sailing.

ORTLIEB RACK PACK XL 89L - Duffles & Totes - Packs

I recommend that you buy a bag without a scuba logo.
1. Why advertise whats inside, makes it easier for a thief to target you.
2. You are paying a premium to advertise someones product.
3. They put their logo's on what ever bag they can make the best profit from.
4. They are much better bags on the market at a better price.

I use a military surplus kit bag to carry my gear. It is large enough to carry everything, made very well, has no logo to advertise what is inside and cost about a third of the price of the bags you are looking at. It is also somewhat waterproof so when I get back from a dive I just fill it with water and let the gear soak for a while before I clean it. They have lasted for about 10 years each rather then the 1 or 2 years you expect to get out of the bags you are considering.

KitBag.jpg

I offer a large, very sturdy gear bag that will hold all your scuba gear. Since we sell direct to the diver (with no retail stores - or the related mark up) I can pass the cost savings on to my customers.

Our heavy canvass bag is gear for gear transport, but it can be a little bulky on the boat, so we also offer a similarly sized mesh bag, which rolls up into a small package on the boat.

If you purchase both, you can fly using the bags nested inside eachother and turn one bag 180 degrees (upside down). This makes it less likely something will be "lifted" buy the baggage handlers. You can probably get both bags for less than a typical bag in a retail store.

Thanks

dano

MAKO Freedive Gear Bag

MFGB-2.jpg

Ballistic Mesh Dive Bag | MAKO Spearguns

MMB-2.jpg

Showing one bag nested in another:

mmb-in-gear-bag_dtl.jpg

I use a bag by Ortlieb with a "dry sack" -style top.
ORTLIEB RACK PACK XL 89L - Duffles & Totes - Packs

Nice, thanks.

I was PO'd at first because I thought you were in the USA. :)

Have you had it long?
My only concern would be durability.

---------- Post added February 16th, 2015 at 02:09 PM ----------

I offer a large, very sturdy gear bag that will hold all your scuba gear.

I have had Mako sunnies for the last 13 years (not sure, maybe 2 diff companies), but my first pair lasted me 9 years.
I had a pair of Bolle sunnies that I got a year out of, but my Ray Bans and Oakleys went about 6 months.

If your bags are made the same way, I would def be keen to get one.

Back
Top Bottom