Recommended exposure protection for SE Asia - Phillipine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do most of my diving in a rashguard and x-shorts. During monsoon/typhoon season, it can get a little chilly on the boat during surface interval so I bring a fleece and/or waterproof jacket to keep the wind and rain off. In springtime, the water can be a little cooler, I find that a 3mm full suit is more than sufficient for the coolest waters here.

I am thinking of diving Phillipine in Thanksdiving time. I have a relatively compressed 7mm wetsuit (so maybe it is equivalent to a 5mm), 5mm boots, 5mm gloves, should I bring them with me?. I am looking to do 4 to 5 dives a day for 3 days.

I dive the same way 3-4 dives per day for 3-5 days in a row. I stick with a 3-5mm or 5mm full suit and an old 5mm hood. I shave my head so the hood is good sun protection at the surface too. I have never been too warm diving in the Philippines. Know yourself, your style of diving and what kind of metabolism. I am an underwater photographer so I do a lot of floating around without a whole lot of swimming and I get cold even at 6 ft. and 210lbs.

I took full foot fins my last couple of trips trying to cut packed weight. Still looking for an oversized full foot fin that I can wear a thin neoprene sock or shoe with as it makes beach dives a little more comfortable. Most places will not let you wear gloves as they are trying to keep your hands off the reef. They do however seem to be allowing pointy sticks so photographers can steady themselves with less harm to themselves and the environment.

I am visiting in January and I own a 2/3 full suit as well as a 5mm full suit and I can't decide which to bring. I'm a tad adverse to cold water. The last time I dove my 2/3 was over Christmas in Mexico, and I found I was quite cold.

One option I am considering is a hooded vest that I can wear with my 2/3 for some flexibility, but any advice for what's best for diving in January would be appreciated.

I dive regularly on the Philippines; I always use a 2/3mm farmerjohn with a 0.5mm rash guard, (+full foot fins) and have never felt uncomfortable cold even in January doing a two tank dive, with dive times up to 70 minutes. 5mm gloves is excessive, my GF have tried with 3mm gloves (only once), she felt too warm, now she use reef gloves with two finger tips free, so if you choose to use gloves then get some reef gloves, they will do the trick. Dives on the Philippines are normally spread over the day, one early morning 5am, one around 9am, next 2am and then the night dive, this is if you dive from a resort so that will give you ample time to heat up if you feel a bit chilled.
I would say a 3mm full suit, with reef gloves, and 1.5mm hood would be more than enough, but do use full suit to avoid scratches from sharp rocks and stings from jelly fish etc.
Well happy diving, be careful, you easily get hooked on diving the Philippine waters.

Back
Top Bottom