Recommended fresh water dive on drive down to the keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm doing my AOW with Rainbow the week after Easter. They have a great hotel/dive package deal ($129/night at Marriott beside their boats and $70/dive)

I dove with Rainbow before. They're good people.

Steve

Pirate Island Divers is located at the Marriott at MM103. Rainbow Reef's boats are next to the Courtyard across from the Holiday Inn at MM100. I've done some training myself at Rainbow Reef and have friends there. You'll have a good time.

Thanks again for all the posts. We ended up starting our drive later in the day then I'd hoped and didn't have time to stop anywhere on the way down. This is the 2nd time I've done the Atlanta-Key Largo dive. My daughter is a good traveling companion and it's not a bad drive. But.....It cost me about $300 just for gas. (4Runner - about 20 miles/gal). Add in tolls for the FL turnpike and it probably would have been just as cheap to fly, even with a rental car.

Anyway, dove with Rainbow Reef. Good as always, but the boats were packed. We had close to 40 people on board a couple of times including various instructors and students. We like to use them because they put a guide in the water with you, but one day we had 13 divers with one guide. Visibility was not good Thu or Fri, but on Saturday it opened up overnight and was as good as I've seen in Key Largo. Easily 80 + ft. Highlight of the trip was getting a good look at a nice spotted Eagle Ray on Friday.

One tip: There's a coupon at roomsaver.com for the Key West Inn for $69.95/night. It's just behind the Ramada at MM100, which is where Rainbow Reef docks their boats. It's listed as a one person rate and they charged me $20 extra for my daughter, but still a pretty good deal. I've stayed there 3 times now and prefer them to the hotels.

Sign up for some of those deep snorkels 18-20' Keys reef dives. They are gorgeous dives and super easy to do. I think I could make it back from 20' feet with a epiliptic , cardiac arrested, reverse squeezed, AGE, DCS, Hung Over fit even in a poodle jacket with a snorkel and split fins... ijs

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom