Recommndation for BC well suited for plane travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good Day To all,

Again I thank everybody for the input. I am very impressed by technical expertise of all the members of this board

Best regards et bonne journée :)

Good Day to all,

I thank you again for all the input & information. I very impressed by the technical expertise of the members of this board

Merci and have a good day

Frank

I am in the market for a new Buoyancy Compensator (BC) with the following specifications;
  1. I do all my diving in warm water. (Bahamas, Cozumel etc..)
  2. I need to bring the BC on the plane, so I am looking for something lighter
  3. I weight around 230 pounds so I still need some lift.
  4. I usually dive with a shorty or full one piece suit. 3mm.
Thank you

Your lift requirements have nothing to do with your weight or size. You only need lift to do two things: Compensate for wetsuit compression and the usage of the air in your tank, and float your tank/reg at the surface without you if it becomes necessary to doff your rig in the water. Assuming you're using an AL80 and a shorty, I would guess that you could easily dive with an 18lb wing...that's a guess, but you're only losing 4 lbs of air, and possibly 10lbs of wetsuit buoyancy, probably less.

If you need to carry a lot of weight diving in a shorty due to, well, being a man of substance, you should consider distributing that weight both around your hips and up on the tank bands. With a floaty AL tank, it really works well to have some weight up on your back. I would not consider quick release pockets on the BC to be a plus; but if you have them, it's probably best to only put a portion of your weight in them so when (oops, I mean if) they fall out you won't go rocketing to the surface.

I like diving with minimal padding/fabric/junk around my torso, so my preference would be a lightweight rigid backplate with a webbing harness and very compact wing. The DSS tropical travel wing on a kydex plate would be great, as would the oxycheq 18lb wing on an AL plate.

The NEW Scubapro GO is Wt. integrated & lightwt.

It is an excellent choice for a travel B.C.

Zeagle Express Tech would meet all your requirements. Very versatile

I've never seen a 'travel' BC that wasn't such a design and materials quality compromise that I'd actually ever imaging owning one!

I agree in general - most specifically advertised 'travel' BCDs are nothing more than normal BCDs with flimsy materials substituted for the original rugged ones. Thin nylon bladders instead of thick cordura ones. Plastic d-rings instead of metal etc etc.

What shocks me is the 'design inertia' that seems to plague many BCD manufacturers. They make a 'travel' BCD and the only innovation they seem to manage is to skimp on rugged materials. There's little in the way of initiative to actually address a diver's needs and use that perspective to construct equipment that fulfills those needs without any superfluous clutter.

This is where the BP&W BCD concept triumphs. Not because the designs are 'better' (although I think they are), but simply because they are modular. A diver can approach a BP&W system and use their own initiative to put together a configuration that best suits their needs... nothing more, nothing less. They can also change/re-configure that equipment for diving at home etc. They don't have to compromise on material ruggedness, as the weight/bulk savings are achieved by disregarding the pointless 'features' that they don't need or won't use.

The most basic BP&W configuration will be very lightweight and low bulk - perfect for travelling. Typically 3 - 5lbs. Pack flat and able to quickly disassemble them to fit baggage, if reqd.

Something like:

Soft fabric or lightweight aluminium backplate. i.e. Oxycheq 'travel lite' or Halcyon AL backplate
Single piece nylon harness. From any BP&W manufacturer, or home-made
Appropriately sized (18-32lb) wing bladder. i.e. Oxycheq Mach V or DSS wing

D-Rings added only where you need/want them.
Integrated weights added only if you need/want them.
Pockets added only if you need/want them.

The cressi Travel Light is the best one out their, it folds up super small, another great one is the Oceanic BioLite.

I actually just purchased the Cressi Air Travel. It differs from the Cressi Travellight in that the Cressi Air Travel BC is a back inflate, where as the Travellight is a jacket inflate. I have to say I am very impressed with the Cressi Air Travel BC. It comes with a travel bag, folds up easily, seems to be of excellent build quality, has enough D rings for your gear, and has a good tank strap system. It also is weight integrated. It has some nice padding in it too. It is supposed to be very stable while diving. I havent used it yet - I have a dive trip coming up the first week of April. I will post a review then - but if anyone is interested in a good back-inflate BC for travel I would check out the Cressi Air Travel BC. Cressi Air Travel BCD

The scubapro lite hawk is a great stripped down bcd with 48# lift. Also if you want something that is standard flotaion the scubapro GO is weight integrated and weighs less than 4lbs and fits in a small bag.

48lbs of lift diving a 3mm shorty? overkill.

For warm water travel diving I use an Ali backplate, Ali STA, Ali cam bands, 18lb wing in full 5mm suit. Weighs in at around 5lbs, packs small, has nothing I dont need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom