Recreational divers, do you carry a spare mask?

Do you carry a spare mask?

• Yes - Sometimes

Votes: 27 13.4%
  • Yes - Always

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 76 37.6%
  • Why should I?

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • I have one but don't dive with it.

Votes: 60 29.7%
  • I do but have never needed it.

Votes: 6 3.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa

Sr. Moderator
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm not talking about caves or wreck diving, just your everyday open water looking around having fun type dives. How many of you carry a spare mask? Have you ever needed it?

Inspired by this thread
Read gauges with no mask

I do, but I have to admit that I've never had to use it. I voted wrong though I think since I voted always carry it (in my pocket).

Last edited:
I usually carry a spare in my bag, I never carry one on my body/person. I have too much other gear to handle.

When I switch to an FFM, I carry a spare mask, but not when I am using a regular mask.

I also carry a spare mask in my gear bag, which goes on the boat if I'm boat diving. If I'm shore diving, it's usually left at the condo with my other "save a dive" stuff. My BC doesn't have pockets so there's no where to stow it, and frankly, I prefer to dive as minimally as possible, so don't really want to carry it anyway.

Yup all the time. Goes in the drysuit pocket. Never had to use it.

I had a mask strap break once. Takes forever to replace it with the spare. So I keep a spare mask at the dive site, plus a spare strap. Not worried about a mask crapping out while diving--just ascend normally.

It depends entirely on the diving I do.

If I'm someplace where losing my mask is a real possibility, particularly where an easy assent might be a problem (in heavy vegetation or around potential minor-overhead obstructions (in a quarry where there is a stand of under-water trees around 30' and I'm below that even if I SHOULD be away from them. Or if I'm diving with my kids (who aren't that experienced yet).

But if I'm doing a dive in warm, clear water, with no significant possibilities of entanglement or over-head obstruction (say diving 30' above a reef) then it's on shore in my 'save a dive' kit.

I've got one, and once I get pockets on my wetsuit I'll be diving with it.

I keep a spare in the right thigh pocket of both my drysuit and my 5mm wetsuit. I don't have pockets on my 3mm shorty yet but as soon as they're installed, I'll carry it in the pocket of my shorty.

Back
Top Bottom