Recreational divers, do you carry a spare mask?

Do you carry a spare mask?

• Yes - Sometimes

Votes: 27 13.4%
  • Yes - Always

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 76 37.6%
  • Why should I?

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • I have one but don't dive with it.

Votes: 60 29.7%
  • I do but have never needed it.

Votes: 6 3.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a few years back I was doing a boat dive and a guy on the boat had his mask strap to break and no one had an extra mask on the boat so he had to sit out the second dive. I got to thinking about it and so I now carry a back-up mask in my gear bag on the boat or in my gear bag if shore diving. (I never carry it during a dive)

So now not only do I have myself covered in case I need it but I don't mind at all lending it to someone else if they were to need it in cases like this. I find most divers I meet are really great folks and I hate to see someone miss a dive.

I wouldn't skip a dive because of a broken strap. I wear my strap very loose and numerous times have had the strap slip up, off the back of my head and floating loose from doing a back roll off the boat. 10-15 minutes later, on the bottom I've noticed it, and put it back over my head. No big deal. Ascending, you have to keep pushing it into your face but...skip a dive? bummer....
But I also carry a spare mask on the boat...for me or anyone who breaks a strap...and doesn't want to dive without one :D...or actually breaks the mask...sitting on it, setting a tank on it...etc

I carry a spare in my dive bag only. No need to carry a spare in the water except for a cave/penetration/deco dive. I carry the spare mask in my bag for all the people who loose their masks wearing them backwards instead of flipped up on their forehead. It gets used regularly, I should start renting it. It is an old Dacor square single pane mask, clear skirt that is now yellow and every diver who uses it loves it, it is a good mask. N

Back
Top Bottom