Recreational doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks!!

What about the 12LX300B in Doubles? Do you use them (assuming filling to 300B isn't an issue).

No. Again, too heavy, too negative, and to difficult to trim out.
I normally dive a D12 232 for my rec dives and "shallower" tech-dives, and a D18 232 for caves. (This is also what 90% of my friends use. (The rest of them use nintendos :D )
Filling to 300bars isn't an issue.
300Bar tanks are with one exception, a pain to use for doubles.
The exception is D7 300Bars which for shorter people will trim out beautifully. They are also small enough to not be excessively heavy, and their negative buoyancy is just within being helpful and not adding risk.

D18 232 for caves. (This is also what 90% of my friends use. (The rest of them use nintendos :D )

And the D18 aren't too heavy for you?? I find one 18L is too heavy and too long, let alone two of them :)

I'm having trouble following a lot of this thread, because I don't know offhand the imperial equivalents of the metrically-described cylinders... :(

A single 6x300 holds almost 60 cu.ft.
A single 7x300 or 8x232 holds about 70 cu.ft.
A single 10x300, 12x232 or 15x200 holds some 100 cu.ft., give or take a few percent.
And an 18x232 has a capacity of about 150 cu.ft.

232 bar is about 3450 psi, that's HP
300 bar is about 4000 psi, so I guess that would be UHP.

I think you've got it backwards. A dry suit, even with no under garments, would be more buoyant than a 7mm, for most divers. A dry suit simply presents more volume in the water. If it didn't, it was be just about as snug on your as a wet suit.

My drysuit is neutral. With an ali 80 and just a baselayer, I don't need any weight in the sea, and I would be overweighted in fresh water. I would definitely need some weight in a 7mm.

I use twin 12Ls for recreational shore dives, and have never looked back. Very well balanced in the water, tons of air, and hey the cool factor is definitely a plus.

Downside is obviously they're ridiculously heavy and not fun on land. Slippery, uneven rocky entrances are awful, and if the water isn't perfectly calm I often have to crawl out on exit.

Price is also a down side. Double steel tanks cost over $2000 in Japan.

I use twin 12Ls for recreational shore dives, and have never looked back. Very well balanced in the water, tons of air, and hey the cool factor is definitely a plus.

Downside is obviously they're ridiculously heavy and not fun on land. Slippery, uneven rocky entrances are awful, and if the water isn't perfectly calm I often have to crawl out on exit.

Price is also a down side. Double steel tanks cost over $2000 in Japan.

Which version of the 12L, the 300B or the 232B?

Low pressure tank. 300B tanks don't really exist here, sadly. No one sells them, and no one can fill them :(

I think you've got it backwards. A dry suit, even with no under garments, would be more buoyant than a 7mm, for most divers. A dry suit simply presents more volume in the water. If it didn't, it was be just about as snug on your as a wet suit.
Thanks for clarifying it for me.

Frank G

My drysuit is neutral. With an ali 80 and just a baselayer, I don't need any weight in the sea, and I would be overweighted in fresh water. I would definitely need some weight in a 7mm.
That's what I was assuming it would be. But I would need some under garment for warmth here in San Diego especially in when water temps drop.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom