Recreational doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The suit may be neutral. However, I need undergarments, and if they're going to have any use, they have to be lofted. IOW, lots of buoyancy.

The suit may be neutral. However, I need undergarments, and if they're going to have any use, they have to be lofted. IOW, lots of buoyancy.

I agree about the undersuit. My bz400 is certainly not neutral, but quite floaty.

I have done a lot of COOL water diving in a dry suit, but no COLD water diving. When I dived Puget Sound, I thought that would qualify as cold water, so I wore my fluffiest, warmest underwear, a garment I had purchased for just such an opportunity and was eager to put to use. I added some weight to what I normally wore with my medium weight underwear--not enough. I don't remember what it eventually took to sink me, but I was wondering for a while if Seattle had enough lead on hand to enable me to do the dive.

BTW, I was wrong about the water temperature. It was 46° F, not really cold, and I was sweating at the end of a one hour dive.

I have done a lot of COOL water diving in a dry suit, but no COLD water diving. When I dived Puget Sound, I thought that would qualify as cold water, so I wore my fluffiest, warmest underwear, a garment I had purchased for just such an opportunity and was eager to put to use. I added some weight to what I normally wore with my medium weight underwear--not enough. I don't remember what it eventually took to sink me, but I was wondering for a while if Seattle had enough lead on hand to enable me to do the dive.

BTW, I was wrong about the water temperature. It was 46° F, not really cold, and I was sweating at the end of a one hour dive.

Yikes! I was just using some basic long johns under my dry suit and my 2 x HP120s plus SS BP are enough weight (in fresh water) by themselves. I recently got a full set of Fourth Element Arctic undies (shirt, pants, and socks). I wear that over board shorts, a t-shirt, and one pair of expedition weight wool socks (mainly to snug up my boots on my feet). For that, I had to add 4 # of lead, which I did using a Highland soft V-weight pouch). That kept me toasty in my local quarry, last weekend, which runs around 38F on the bottom.

Those must be some pretty "lofty" undies to take that much more lead!

Yikes! I was just using some basic long johns under my dry suit and my 2 x HP120s plus SS BP are enough weight (in fresh water) by themselves. I recently got a full set of Fourth Element Arctic undies (shirt, pants, and socks). I wear that over board shorts, a t-shirt, and one pair of expedition weight wool socks (mainly to snug up my boots on my feet). For that, I had to add 4 # of lead, which I did using a Highland soft V-weight pouch). That kept me toasty in my local quarry, last weekend, which runs around 38F on the bottom.

Those must be some pretty "lofty" undies to take that much more lead!
It was a single tank dive. The undergarment was Whites MK3.

Please note that there was some hyperbole in my description. My point was that the fluffiness of the underwear makes a big difference.

Back
Top Bottom