Red Sea Jaws - Channel 5 documentary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compared to all the TV news reports and newspaper headlines, I doubt that the TV show will have had any further impact on potential tourists' views of Sharm. Non of my (non-diving) friends or co-workers seemed to have even know that the show was on let along watched it.

In some ways, it was probably better that the show was on FIVE at 8pm on a Tuesday rather than a more scientific show on primetime BBC1 or ITV1?

Not sure i'd class ITV as any better class than 5 to be honest. Its just chav-tv!

Here's a link to the show that I believe you were talking about for anyone who didn't see it: CBC.ca Player

Well cruisensnooze very kindly sent me a copy of the DVD which was slightly delayed by the revolution but I have to say that the documentary is actually very well balanced with thoughtful opinion by researchers and experts, and actually quite moving interviews with some of the victims. I was particularly impressed by the Russian lady, who despite losing an arm and half of her backside, is eager to get back in the water again because she loves it so much.

There are inevitably dramatic cut scenes of sharks followed by blood in the ocean, but other than that I found it to be a good account of the attacks. I also learned some new things - I was not previously aware that the Mako was discovered to be malnourished and on the point of starvation - an unusual predicament for a Mako, and also was interested to learn that there is footage of the killer Longimanus being fed shortly before the attack. I knew that the shark was known to have been fed, but was asked not to publish this information due to the fact that the feeding was subject to a criminal investigation. Since it's been put into the public domain then I don't mind so much - but it confirms what I had already been told.

Good job Channel 5 - it's been 6 years since I was in the UK and C5 did not exactly have a reputation for this sort of balanced documentary, but I was impressed.

Thanks again for sending me the DVD.

Cheers

C.

Here's a link to the show that I believe you were talking about for anyone who didn't see it: CBC.ca Player

Unfortunatelly, this link as well as any other link I could obtain from google are all limited to the residents of UK and Canada... We, living on the other places of this small world cannot get to this show...

Does anybody know any non-restricted link, by chance ??

Thanks in advance...

Regards
Kaya (counting down the last 30 days to get back to depths of Sharm :eyebrow: )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom