Red Sea next week - where to stay?? Help please!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are plenty of destinations in Egypt less known, less dived, less exploided and more for money. Have a look at Hamata for example. You can look at WELCOME TO AZIAB and klick your way down the Egyptian coast line. The site is independent from operators. If you have any questions just let me know and I'll help.

.....a.....

Not really.

Sharm has more fish than Dahab, but Dahab has an amazing topological variety. Almost every site is different than the others. Bells is different than the Canyon and they're both different than the Islands, which is different than the Caves and so on.

Wow, Sharm has more fish, is that it...:no:
Really, Tiran has more amazing topological variety than Dahab alone. Thats not even talking about the Ras Mohamed National Park. Canyons (Thomas and Woodhouse), walls, caves (Thomas and Woodhouse) , not to mention some of the best coral gardens in Egypt. The difference just from the inside of a reef to the outside is incredible. How about the Coral plateau near the Kormoran Wreck. Yes there are wrecks in Sharm too.:wink:

"Another major advantage for Dahab is that it's a great access point to Ras Abu Galoum, Ras Mamlach, and Gabr El Bint. Those are even better diving." Quote
Better than Ras Mohammed National Park, NO Way.

Sorry but just as some of you guys in Dahab love to hate Sharm, loads of us Sharmers don't dive Dahab, its a nice day off, but thats it. The blue holes good, but not if you don't do the arch. The canyons ok, but get in line and hope all the guides go the same way. Sharm may be very busy, just like the canyon and Blue hole, but we have loads of top dive sites so the options are there for a good guide, as you say they can make or break your dive.

"Also Dahab's shore diving makes it more laid back, as no one is rushed to catch the boat, no one is obliged to share boats when it's low season, no guests have sea sickness, etc..." Quote

Dive with a top center, they don't share boats, they don't have too. They also don't want to take the chance of letting an outside guide ruin their guests day.
Seasickness, take a tablet...
Boats are good, no treks with your kit on in the heat. No coral cuts from the entries. Good for disabled divers, lunch on the boat and clean toilets and shower on board, lets talk toilets at Dahabs dive sites... not a nice place for the ladies.

Here is a list of top ten dive site of the world voted for by the readers of scubatravel. Where is Dahab? I googled top 10 dive sites, got loads of hits for Sharm, but none for Dahab. Can you show me some urls

Top Ten Dive Sites - the Best Diving in the World

Yongala, Australia
Blue Corner Wall, Palau, Micronesia
Barracuda Point, Sipadan Island
Thistlegorm, Egyptian Red Sea (SHARM)
Shark and Yolanda Reef, Egyptian Red Sea (SHARM)
Navy Pier, Western Australia
Manta Ray Night Dive, Kailua Kona, Hawaii
Richelieu Rock, Thailand
Elphinstone Reef, Egyptian Red Sea
Big Brother, Egyptian Red Sea

No serious diver can say Dahab is on a par with Sharm diving wise, Dahab is for a very laid back time with diving, if thats what you like don't come to sharm, you will hate it. Sharms the Divers paradise, unfortunately we have sun-seekers as well.

Sharm vs Dahab, one of them is for you, if your lucky both.

Wow, Sharm has more fish, is that it...:no:
Really, Tiran has more amazing topological variety than Dahab alone. Thats not even talking about the Ras Mohamed National Park. Canyons (Thomas and Woodhouse), walls, caves (Thomas and Woodhouse) , not to mention some of the best coral gardens in Egypt. The difference just from the inside of a reef to the outside is incredible. How about the Coral plateau near the Kormoran Wreck. Yes there are wrecks in Sharm too.:wink:
Wow, Tiran has more amazing topological variety than Dahab alone? :no:
All what you mentioned is in Dahab plus some more. People in Sharm think Dahab is te Blue Hole and the Canyon and that's it, which is totally untrue. There's several canyons in Dahab between Ras Abu Helal and Wadi Abu Maa. There's diving through a chimney in the Bells, there's diving through pools (people call it Galawa) in the 3 Pools, there's several coral plateaus, one of which is Rick's Reef.

And sorry Dahab doesn't have wrecks, except for the Jeep wreck in the Bannerfish bay.

"Another major advantage for Dahab is that it's a great access point to Ras Abu Galoum, Ras Mamlach, and Gabr El Bint. Those are even better diving." Quote
Better than Ras Mohammed National Park, NO Way.
Why does it have to be better or worst? It's different and YES some dives I rate it as better than Ras Mohamed. One of which is the Red Tooth Trigger Bay where you have hundreds of Acropora tables full of marine life, especially Blue Triggers with red tooth. Do you have one like that in Sharm?

Sorry but just as some of you guys in Dahab love to hate Sharm, loads of us Sharmers don't dive Dahab, its a nice day off, but thats it. The blue holes good, but not if you don't do the arch. The canyons ok, but get in line and hope all the guides go the same way. Sharm may be very busy, just like the canyon and Blue hole, but we have loads of top dive sites so the options are there for a good guide, as you say they can make or break your dive.
Now that's totally wrong. I don't love to hate Sharm! Where did you get that from? Actually I run very successful multi day trips in Sharm, one of which is here. I can't do good work in a place I "love to hate".

Dahab is not a day-off. It's a place where more than 50 dive centers are doing business!

The Blue Hole is not good if you don't do the arch? So why loads of divers come to Dahab to make the Bells-Blue Hole? Are you selling them bad dives?

The arch is a technical dive and by the way, Dahab is the technical divers' paradise. Have you heard that before?

Here is a list of top ten dive site of the world voted for by the readers of scubatravel. Where is Dahab? I googled top 10 dive sites, got loads of hits for Sharm, but none for Dahab. Can you show me some urls

Top Ten Dive Sites - the Best Diving in the World

Yongala, Australia
Blue Corner Wall, Palau, Micronesia
Barracuda Point, Sipadan Island
Thistlegorm, Egyptian Red Sea (SHARM)
Shark and Yolanda Reef, Egyptian Red Sea (SHARM)
Navy Pier, Western Australia
Manta Ray Night Dive, Kailua Kona, Hawaii
Richelieu Rock, Thailand
Elphinstone Reef, Egyptian Red Sea
Big Brother, Egyptian Red Sea
Both Thistlegorm and Shark/Yolanda are doable via a speed boat in a one day trip (from Dahab or Sharm). If those are Sharm's pinnacle brands, then they're easily doable from Dahab, just as the Blue Hole and the Canyon are easily doable from Sharm.

No serious diver can say Dahab is on a par with Sharm diving wise, Dahab is for a very laid back time with diving, if thats what you like don't come to sharm, you will hate it. Sharms the Divers paradise, unfortunately we have sun-seekers as well.
That's purely subjective! And if Sharm has sun-seekers, Dahab has wind and kite surfers.
You aren't mocking my name (Shadow). Are you?:wink:

Wow! You made me write all these posts :) I just want to stress that fact that I'm neither pro Dahab nor anti Sharm! I don't hate Sharm, else I won't promote it on my Website!

Last edited:
just been back from 10days+another 7 days vacay with this dive OP: Diving in Dahab and Red Sea Sinai with Blue Realm Diving

Can't say enough about their care & accomodating customer needs.
DISCLAIMER: I was a tourist & not affiliated with them; in fact it was my 1st time ever with them.
Although on my first part of my trip I went to sharm with on of the "top" mentioned centers for 5 days (just for the sake of S.S.Thistlegorm); Dahab diving was far superior & relaxed and much more of that "personalized" experience, not like Sharm where I felt like guides are literally herding divers in, around, and out of water.
OTOH, snorkeling is better in Sharm :), but you aren't into that, are you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom