Redundant Computer

Do you dive with a redundant computer?

• Yes

Votes: 68 41.5%
  • No

Votes: 96 58.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I have 2 for sale if anyone is intereted. It's not a bad idea to have an extra in the old save a dive kit that way you don't blow an entire weekend of OW diving.

clarktenk:
It's not a bad idea to have an extra in the old save a dive kit that way you don't blow an entire weekend of OW diving.

what ever happened to diving the tables?

Snowbear:
These statements seem to contradict each other. If you can dive the same profiles with or without a computer, then why would you lose a dive if your primary computer fails? And why would you need to add offgassing and SI? After all... it's the same profile...

And I'm also assuming that your brain is not disengaged and you are checking your computer periodically before it fails? So you have a pretty good idea what your depth and run time is at that point, right? So it's pretty easy to just finish up the dive with a normal ascent and SI... unless of course you were riding the "NDL" limits :11:
Actually what you see as contradictory statements were in different contexts. The statement about being able to dive any desired profile with in reference to TS&M's desire to change over to bottom timer and cease the use of a computer. In recreation diver, I see no benefit to the bottom timer since any profile you do with the bottom timer you can also do with the computer.

I have no trouble doing a normal ascent after a computer failure. Indeed, as I posted in the thread WarmWaterDIver linked, http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1503618&postcount=25 , I said that in most cases I would actually go ahead and complete the dive normally, even without depth and time reference, instead of immediately starting an ascent.

The possibility of losing a dive, or more likely, doing the next dive more conservatively than normal has to do with my level of trust when I lose one of my two deco tracking instruments (brain and computer). Were my computer were to fail, I'd probably choose to add some conservatism, due to the fact that my memory of the profile is not exact.

If it's a multiday/dive trip I would take two computers. For local diving I use one computer.

It doesn't matter whether I use the computer as a computer or in gauge mode, if it fails I'd like a backup for the remaining dives.

I do consider a computer as a backup for your brain however.

Charlie, I would like to develop the ability to track my depth and time accurately and keep it in my head much better than I do now -- I'm getting better, but it's still not solid. My computer functions as a fallback for my mental failure. It probably will for some time. I don't think there is anything at all wrong with using a computer for that purpose, but I do see value in trying to train my brain to track my depth and time the same way the computer does. I was very happy to be able to identify accurately the ten and twenty minute points in my dive today from my head. Learning to assess time, and to mark and remember depth points at those times, gives me a picture of my dive that is independent of my computer. Can anybody argue that that isn't a worthwhile thing to learn to do?

TSandM:
Charlie, I would like to develop the ability to track my depth and time accurately and keep it in my head much better than I do now -- ...... My computer functions as a fallback for my mental failure. It probably will for some time. I don't think there is anything at all wrong with using a computer for that purpose, but I do see value in trying to train my brain to track my depth and time the same way the computer does. ...... Learning to assess time, and to mark and remember depth points at those times, gives me a picture of my dive that is independent of my computer. Can anybody argue that that isn't a worthwhile thing to learn to do?
I agree that it is a very worthwhile thing to be able to develop the ability to track you depth and time accurately. What I don't think is worthwhile is turning off your backup (either mental or electronic). Ideally, one can have the mental discipline to track depth and time in your head accurately, while simultaneously having the computer do the same.

I guess it's the whole either/or thing that I don't get. People keep treating it choice where you EITHER track it mentally, OR you track it by computer.

I don't see why one needs to purposely cripple an instrument and ignore data --- whether your mental tracking is primary and computer is backup, or computer is primary and mental tracking is secondary (or in the case of my rather loose tracking, my mental tracking is merely a sanity check on the computer).

Charlie

p.s. Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Most people would take my question as an insult, or would respond with "take a DIR-F and you'll figure it out". :)

Uncle Pug:
When diving from a boat I take along twice as many dive computers as I would for shore diving. When on a multiday diving trip I will take along four times as many and when diving in a remote area I will take along ten times as many.
The humped one lies. He doesn't even use his timer or depth guage. He goes by ears for depth and sac versus his spg for time. Now if his spg fails - he is in a world of hurt.:D

Charlie99:
I agree that it is a very worthwhile thing to be able to develop the ability to track you depth and time accurately. What I don't think is worthwhile is turning off your backup (either mental or electronic). Ideally, one can have the mental discipline to track depth and time in your head accurately, while simultaneously having the computer do the same.

I guess it's the whole either/or thing that I don't get. People keep treating it choice where you EITHER track it mentally, OR you track it by computer.

I don't see why one needs to purposely cripple an instrument and ignore data --- whether your mental tracking is primary and computer is backup, or computer is primary and mental tracking is secondary (or in the case of my rather loose tracking, my mental tracking is merely a sanity check on the computer).

Charlie

p.s. Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Most people would take my question as an insult, or would respond with "take a DIR-F and you'll figure it out". :)

Thanks to you Charlie - I also don't understand the either/or thing, but those who choose differently are certainly welcome to their choice.

On my last dive of my normoxic trimix class Mr Murphy decided to join us. We were required to use two bottom timers. I used a suunto vytec in gauge mode and an OMS bottom timer. Getting suited up I could not find my OMS bottom timer (later found under a towel) My instructor said well your team mate is your back up.
Need less to say at 200ft my vytec flooded. It brings a whole new appreciation for team work and trust when you have to work together though the deco. My instructor commented that he had never seen us work so well together.

Enjoy the dive

John

Don't have a 2nd computer yet, but I plan. In fact this was a major part of my decision which computer to buy first, knowing I will be buying another one in the near future. I like redundency (sp).

Back
Top Bottom