Reef House Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7 divers and 3 snorkelers. A few people just left. All very friendly, with plenty of room on the boat.

What is the current daily dive schedule, when do they leave each day to dive? Two tank or one? How does the diving work now?

The boat leaves at 9am for 2 tanks, returns about noon. Lunch at 1, boat leaves at 220pm for a 1 tank dive. Back around 430 or so, dinner at 7. Perfect schedule, nothing feels rushed or too drawn out. BC's are always on fresh tanks whenever we get to the boat and the equip room is less than 10 feet away. And while a lot has been written about how great Choco and Davit are (captain and divemaster, respectively) I really feel it's an understatement. Davit has the ability to see a sea horse or eel 30 feet away, the best spotter I've seen anywhere.

I started this thread and appreciate the contributions. Any input on the safety issues in Roatan? Has anyone ventured beyond RHR?

Bucknut, many of the scubaboard members have ventured beyond RHR. I've been all over the island, stay in West End and generally dive out of West End as well. That said, have been diving with Cocoview (and BIBR, which I'm given to understand no longer exists). There are security issues like many other destinations of its sort. Ship happens. But so far over a number of trips a year and a number of years, the greatest threats to my wellbeing are the bugs. :)

We just returned from Reef House on Saturday. This was our first trip to Roatan because we wanted to try someplace different as we usually opt for Cozumel. We didn't take a laptop and left the phone off, but others had no complaints about the wifi. I will say that I enjoyed the Reef House experience, and it is very much like being at camp - except you have A/C. We started the week with a group of 5 divers and ended with 8 by Saturday. A very nice group of folks from different regions of the country, so it made for good conversations. I enjoyed the casual, laid back atmosphere and family style eating. Here's a little info for first-timers: the ride from the airport is about 40-45 minutes, so plan accordingly. Our taxi driver stopped at the BP so we could get a cold drink for the ride. Don't forget the bug spray. If you are one of theose people who get eaten alive (like me), you WILL suffer the bug bites. The food is generally very good - I would have liked to have more fresh fruit available. The meals are usually heavy on carbs. You can ask to be served less if they give you too much food - but most of the guys scraped the plates (so did I on a few! esp lobster night!). There is essentially no other place to go once you are at Reef House. The small island where Reef House resides is a little fishing village type island - a group of us went to West Bay to see the July 4th fireworks, and they were great, but it was a long drive there and back...probably should have just stayed put. As for the diving, it is a coral jungle. The reefs are very healthy and thriving. Saw a great variety of fish (not many big ones like you see in Coz), saw lots of seahorses and eels. Unfortunately no turtles. Apparently they get eaten. By the end of the week the water was rougher than I am used to. It affected the visibility and made for some excting times getting back into the boat. Kudos to divemaster Davit and his crewman Choco. They were a lot of fun. If you are looking for a place to be truly lazy - eat, sleep, dive and catch up on your reading...this is the place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom