REEF ID Class - November 13 & 14, 2004

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is one on Oakland Park Blvd, I think it is called Scuba School. It is only a mile or so from the dive site. If coming from the beach on Oakland, it is right before you go over the bridge on the north side of the road.

Whoa - latest forecast looks scary.

Shore diving may be iffy too. The weather folks have been warning of rip currents. They may be handy for getting out to the dive site, but could be troublesome coming back in.

Who's up for an early meet tomorrow morning at Mulligan's for breakfast? Getting there early also means getting a parking spot. :wink:

Marc

From the NOAA site.

Issued at 1100 AM EST FRI NOV 12 2004

SATURDAY...WINDS EAST 5 TO 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...WINDS NORTHEAST TO EAST 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2
TO 4 FEET BUILDING TO 5 TO 7 FEET LATE. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A
MODERATE CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AFTER MIDNIGHT.
.SUNDAY...WINDS NORTHEAST 20 TO 25 KNOTS WITH GUSTS UP TO GALE FORCE
LATE. SEAS 7 TO 9 FEET BUILDING TO 9 TO 11 FEET IN THE EVENING.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS ROUGH IN EXPOSED AREAS. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

...MODERATE RISK OF RIP CURRENTS ALONG ATLANTIC BEACHES...

THE COMBINATION OF EAST TO SOUTHEAST WINDS OF 10 TO 15 MPH ALONG THE COAST, AND LOW TIDE EARLY THIS AFTERNOON WILL ALLOW FOR A MODERATE RISK OF RIP CURRENTS FROM JUPITER INLET TO MIAMI BEACH.

THE BEST TIME FOR RIP CURRENTS WILL BE AROUND LOW TIDE WHICH WILL
OCCUR BETWEEN 1 PM AND 2 PM ALONG THE BEACHES OF PALM BEACH
COUNTY...AND BETWEEN 130 PM AND 230 PM ALONG THE BEACHES OF BROWARD AND MIAMI-DADE COUNTIES.

A RIP CURRENT IS A 10 TO 30 YARD WIDE CHANNEL OF WATER THAT CAN PULL EVEN A STRONG SWIMMER FROM NEAR OR INSIDE THE SAND BAR INTO DEEPER WATER.

TO AVOID GETTING CAUGHT IN A RIP CURRENT, SWIM AT GUARDED BEACHES AND HEED THE ADVICE OF THE BEACH PATROL. AT UNGUARDED BEACHES AND NEAR PIERS, JETTIES, AND INLETS DO NOT GO INTO THE SURF MUCH ABOVE YOUR KNEES.

IF CAUGHT IN THE SEAWARD PULL OF A RIP CURRENT DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MOVE DIRECTLY TOWARD SHORE. INSTEAD, MOVE SIDEWAYS ACROSS THE RIP CURRENT UNTIL THE PULL EASES. AN ALTERNATE METHOD OF ESCAPE IS TO LET THE RIP CURRENT PULL YOU SEAWARD 50 TO 100 YARDS WHERE THE FORCE WEAKENS THEN SWIM TOWARD THE BEACH AT AN ANGLE AWAY FROM THE CURRENT.

tonidiver:
Does anyone know a dive shop near the beach dive spot where I can rent a tank Saturday morning?

Thanks!

tonidiver,
If you need a tank, I'll bring a spare.

Jenny,
I was joking about staying at your place... :wink:

I made reservations at the Comfort Suites in Deerfield Beach. Only 45.95. You just have to mention that you're diving with Dixie Divers. The phone# is: 954-570-8888 and ask for the Comfort Suites. That's also the phone number for the Best Western...

Is there any viz

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom