Reef Killers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get a small Island with no sewage treatment, septic tanks and add thousands of divers

Attachments

• toilet.jpg
    toilet.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 149
Turtle turds are often found on the bottom, right next to the turtle cleaning station where 300 lb turtles are surging back and forth, on the coral. In the past decade it is likely that Mother Nature has destroyed way more coral than man. Parrotfish eat coral. Most human coral propagating footage I have seen is bare handed, and is basically breaking the coral into small pieces. :idk:

Mother Nature kills humans too ... does that somehow make it OK for us to?

I have a hard time with that argument ... damaging the environment we pay big bucks to go down there to see just doesn't sound real sustainable to me.

We can't control Mother Nature's actions ... but we can control our own ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

halemanō;5953864:
Was I arguing, or offering food for thought?
... point taken ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Mother Nature kills humans too ... does that somehow make it OK for us to?

We can't control Mother Nature's actions ... but we can control our own ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

How very true! As far as this dude who thinks his pictures are worth damaging the reef, you should ask someone like that if they also believe in shoot to kill safaris, because that is essentially what they are doing. The last time I was diving in Florida there were a couple of young guys on the boat who brought up a conch shell as a souvenir. I immediately pipped up, couldn't help myself. I was just mentioning that it isn't right to remove stuff, and what if every diver took up a souvenir. The DM actually stepped in and let them know there was something living in there and put it back in the ocean. My hero! Queen conch are protected, but most likely most people on these excursions don't even know what they are picking up. I think it is important to shed a light on conservation issues. It is important that we keep diving a sustainable activity, or before long there won't be much difference between a quarry and the Caribbean basin.

Stating that quarry divers can't hover sounds like an ignorance of quarry diving. Quarries are probably the best place to learn buoyancy control. The silt will show you when your too close and there is no real damage. Well except the vis. Our local quarry has hoops suspended underwater for buoyancy practice.

Put someone that's always hovered over a reef in the kelp forest and see how much damage they do.

I've dived the kelp in CA, reefs in the Indian ocean, jetties, sandy bottoms and quarries. Probably the biggest obstacle to a quarry diver that's never been in the ocean is dealing with surge. That's why my kids first ocean dives were on sandy bottoms around piers and bridges. A piling teaches station keeping fast.

As for a DM that can't do a giant stride, if that happened well that's just sad. We do giant strides from a free floating dock. Only tethered to the main dock by ropes. It's a fairly realistic simulation of a boat.

It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to know touching coral is damaging it. If these so called experienced divers are kneeling and grabbing and finning the coral then they didn't pay attention in OW training or just flat don't care. As for the DM waiting on the card after being certified as such, I am not calling the OP a liar but I will call the supposed DM a liar. If he can't do a giant stride he wasn't there for OW training. As a matter of fact the worst diver I have ever seen was a Master Diver, I saw the card. Someone who claims to be experienced is not always truthful or flat out doesn't care. It is not the training, it is not where you have dived before, it is not your dive count.

Last edited:
If you think divers are reef killers then you should see what cruise ships are doing to the reefs. :wink:

If you think either of those are reef killers then you should learn something about reefs. Both of those require direct contact to cause damage.

Coastal human populations cause damage to reefs several orders of magnitude greater than any direct contact damage source.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom