Reef Killers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I are brand new OW baby divers, my prayer is that I don't run into you or people likewise on our dive trips. Before you jump our cases for being stupid and inexperienced, how about pull up along side and see if I am teachable and help us out. We are strugggling with getting our bouyancy right still and we want to know the names of fishes. I come here to learn and have learned a lot (and thanks by the way to those who took the time to teach) but it is this type of attititude that ruins trips for people like us. One thing we did learn in our OW was "don't touch anything", period. Look and watch and listen. Perhaps a better drive briefing from the DM would help stupid and inexperienced divers know what NOT! to do.

Come on out to the Pacific Northwest ... I'll dive with ya.

Some of us really enjoy giving new divers that "better dive briefing" ... so don't sell yourself short. We were all where you're at at some point ... and some of us enjoy going back there from time to time to rediscover why we got into diving in the first place ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Are we not part of Mother Nature too?

... not since the invention of the wheel ... Mother Nature never intended for us to spend our time underwater ... technology made that possible ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Come on out to the Pacific Northwest ... I'll dive with ya.

Some of us really enjoy giving new divers that "better dive briefing" ... so don't sell yourself short. We were all where you're at at some point ... and some of us enjoy going back there from time to time to rediscover why we got into diving in the first place ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am working on lining up a job in BC (Vancouver). How far is that? I am also trying to get it in Seattle but that might be further off.

I am working on lining up a job in BC (Vancouver). How far is that? I am also trying to get it in Seattle but that might be further off.
Vancouver's not far at all ... about 120 miles. I go there regularly. Some good diving up that way ... and that much closer to the REALLY good diving on Vancouver Island.

Let me know if you end up there ... or here ... would enjoy diving with ya ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Stay off the reefs please, regardless of whatever lame excuses one may invent, stay off the reef or get out of the ocean, please.

N

Vancouver's not far at all ... about 120 miles. I go there regularly. Some good diving up that way ... and that much closer to the REALLY good diving on Vancouver Island.

Let me know if you end up there ... or here ... would enjoy diving with ya ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I mean by "lining up a job" a few days at customer site. So I would have maybe a day before and every evening before the flight to do some diving.

OP, as I am sure you noticed by some of the responses, your post came off as holier-than-thou and somewhat offensive. I read it the same way. The lambasting of infrequent divers and quarry rats was of particular bad taste. BUT, I did find one item that I can agree on: There is NO reason why anyone should think that standing/kneeling on a reef is acceptable. This is a basic principle of OW training (at least when I took it). Yes, those divers should be reeducated...but constructively. There are some, like the old man photographer, that will not listen to reason. But most conscientious divers would listen to constructive criticism, and value input from those more experienced. I know that I would...even though I have never been in anything other than quarries and mudpuddles:mooner: (though that will be changing in 2 weeks)

To the OP:
I appreciate what you are saying concerning thoughtless divers who damage the reefs with their actions. As pointed out, sometimes that's through inexperience and lack of training, but sometimes it's due to a true thoughtless attitude. Also as mentioned, there is great benefit in in-the-know divers providing an example as well as a mentoring mindset in assisting less experienced divers to become better ones.

However, I do NOT appreciate your comments concerning divers who don't have the opportunity or perhaps even inclination to dive as you do. You mentioned how many dives you get in, but I have to ask...are you getting in 200-300 dives, or are you doing the SAME dive 200-300 times? True, quarry and lake divers learn to master their skills in much different ways than you do, but the divers I see in those locations generally have very good skills (except for the ones in classes who are just learning). As some have said, divers in quarries and lakes learn very quickly to stay off the bottom, just as you have learned to stay off the reef, in order to avoid silting and thus preserve visibility. That skill easily translates when diving salt. I say this from experience, and many SB'ers here can verify the same idea. Your condescending attitude tends to make one think that instead of being some vast repository of diving wisdom, you may well be rather limited in the scope of your own experience.
I remember being a part of a science excursion rather early in my diving experience. I had learned to dive in lakes and quarries, so in order to be accepted for the expedition, I was encouraged to get in some salt diving. I did so, and everything went well. I was talking to the trip leader with some others between dives, and I asked specifically about the need to get more salt experience. She replied, "That's just so you'd have some experience with the rigors of ocean diving."
I looked at her and replied, "Where I generally dive, the water is 65 degrees, I wear every stitch of neoprene I own, I can't see my fin tips due to the vis, and it's often so shallow my buoyancy has to be spot on to maintain my level. Here, the water is 80 degrees, vis is 100+, and I'm diving in a skin. What "rigors" are you talking about!?"
I still appreciate the main idea of your post. What I (and I think a lot of others) could do without is your own personal brand of snobbery that does much to alienate divers who would like to know more and be better divers. In a weird sort of way, that attitude contributes toward the damage on the reefs instead of making strides to prevent it.

I think the Capt. should cover this topic in his dive briefing. Before anyone splashes it should be announced that the flora and fauna are delicate and that everyone should be careful on how they interact with the coral n' such. I think a lot of it is just education. While I agree that vertical diving is annoying and hilarious I just don't think its worth talking about. That's how inexperienced divers dive. I feel ya man.

I think a lot of it is just education. While I agree that vertical diving is annoying and hilarious I just don't think its worth talking about. That's how inexperienced divers dive.

... only the ones who are taught to dive that way ...

It's no more difficult, really, to train someone how to dive horizontally ... it just takes a progression as you go through pool skills.

I learned this approach from a PADI instructor several years ago ... start the new OW student out on their knees and let them get used to the unfamiliarity of the environment as they go through their basic skills. Then ask them to lay down on the bottom and do those skills again. Once that's accomplished, now "fin pivot" and do them again, with just the fin tips touching. Got that? Good ... now raise those fin tips off the bottom and do it again without anything touching. Once that's done, spend the remaining pool time "playing" ... go swim around and have some fun ... and as I watch them swimming around, I notice they're all going horizontally. Imagine that.

Inexperienced divers dive as they're taught to dive ... it doesn't have to be vertical. In fact, it's actually harder to dive that way ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom