reefmaster cameras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found the 35 mm Reefmaster to be little to no value in low viz 3-8 ' range, mostly because of no focus adjustment. Look at how fast digital technology has advanced and pricing has dropped. It's just a matter of time before some manufaturer has a 5.5 or better w/ autofocus and strobe for $499. Or am I just dreaming?

Skip the strobe and you can have that now. Shoot you could score my camera and UW case for half that (3 not 5 megapixel). I'm not a fan of strobes anyways, the digitals do a pretty good job without as long as you get close.

One comment specifically about the depth of field of the Oly pics you've seen vs. the Rebel you now own... I think it has to do with sensor size. I'm not really quite up on it all, but the smaller sensor of the point and shoots gives much greater depth of field at any given f stop and in general than what you'll get from the larger sensors of the DSLRs. You can't really compare the point and shoots to a DSLR in those regards. Somebody here probably can explain why that is, it's not just an Oly phenomon.

By the way, some of your macros with the reefmaster are the best I've seen with that camera.

Steve

synthetic:
I just upgraded to a Canon Digital Rebel in an Aquatica housing. I posted a few of those shots on this board. It's a nicer rig, but it had better be for 6x the price. :)

I've noticed some of the problems I've seen on this camera -- JPEG compression on the outside border of the photo, purple fringing distortion, soft focus on the outside of the image, etc. -- on many Olympus shots I've seen. I've gotten to where I can tell Oly shots before I even look at someone's signature. Compare the weird focus in the bottom right corner of my Horn Shark photo to the bottom right corner of Gilligan's latest Surgeonfish he just posted:

http://kayakdiver.com/forum/slideshow/092204/01.htm

The image quality is crisper on his photo, due to a higher megapixel rating, but the lens quality seems to be about the same. (I think Gilligan is one of the best photographers on this board, I'm using that image as an example of Oly lenses.) Now compare that to the soft depth of field I get with the Digital Rebel:

IMG_2382.sized.jpg

I'm not trying to start a Oly flame war, but I think that Reefmaster are a comparable quality camera for the money. I think the new 3mp version is a great buy.

(Oh no, I've angered the Oly fans. I'm finished on this board...)

I have upgraded from the SL515 to the DC310 and let me tell you that if I would of know in the first place I would of went with the DC310 in the first place I took it to Cuba and man dit it ever give good quality picture and print it out on a photo printer WHOW. I found that for the price it is a very good camera now I did not try any other brand so I can't tell you the difference but depending on the person using the camera you will get different result same as depending on who you hire to paint your house the result might not be the same. Depending on what you want to do for the price it is a very good camera.

You wont be disapointed if you get it.

friscuba:
One comment specifically about the depth of field of the Oly pics you've seen vs. the Rebel you now own... I think it has to do with sensor size. I'm not really quite up on it all, but the smaller sensor of the point and shoots gives much greater depth of field at any given f stop and in general than what you'll get from the larger sensors of the DSLRs. You can't really compare the point and shoots to a DSLR in those regards. Somebody here probably can explain why that is, it's not just an Oly phenomon.

I did not think DOF would be changed by sensor size, DOF is determined by focal length,

maybe the cameras lens design or digital zoom plays a part in this.

oops

deleted some important words

I meant to say DOF is affected by, focal length, aperture, and distance.

As I said, I'm not up on the techincalities if it, but therre are lots of discussions on this in the digital camera forums on dpreview.com. Here's one example...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1012&message=5759499

If you do a search in thier forums for depth of field and sensor sizes, you get all sorts of respones with corresponding links discussing it. It appears to be a combination of several things, but the cameras with smaller sensors do appear to have greater DOF.

later,

Steve

Chris Bangs:
friscuba:

I did not think DOF would be changed by sensor size, DOF is determined by focal length,

maybe the cameras lens design or digital zoom plays a part in this.

friscuba:
As I said, I'm not up on the techincalities if it, but therre are lots of discussions on this in the digital camera forums on dpreview.com. Here's one example...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1012&message=5759499

If you do a search in thier forums for depth of field and sensor sizes, you get all sorts of respones with corresponding links discussing it. It appears to be a combination of several things, but the cameras with smaller sensors do appear to have greater DOF.

later,

Steve

Definately right about this one. This is one reason that the compacts only go to apertures of say F8 maximum. This DOF seems to be equvilant to about F22 or more.
I also not know all the reasons behind it but it is something to do with the sensors. It is one of the good parts of going digital. DSLR also have far greater DOF than film SLR's.

I was trying to distigusish between the quality of the out-of-focus elements caused by depth-of-field. I think this is a function of lens quality.

r&wc:
i see a lot of olympus threads but i see no info on reefmaster, i was considering buying the dc310 with a strobe, is this a good camera for a beginer? it is much less expensive than a similar setup with an olympus camera

this thread got a little off track, and it's also been a while, but I finally got to take my trip to Hawaii and I have a few pics posted on my profile page that were taken with my DC300 without a strobe but with the wide-angle lens... I thought they turned out pretty good :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom