reefmaster cameras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i see everybody making comparisons but, when the comparisons are made, everybody leaves out the fact that for the price the reef master comes with a strobe and a macro lens, i priced out the other options and while it is true that you get a better land camera, the underwater oly option is more than twice the price for the same gear
well, i endded up buyng the reef master thursday went diving sunday and had to get the camera exchanged sunday afternoon because the housing flooded
i did get very nice pics on dive#1 even being an absolute underwater novice (diving and photography) but it died before dive#2 so got no pics there

im also considering buying the macro set and the wide angle lens, each is about $99

I hope you are getting the housing exchanged as well. Let me know how the add-ons make a difference. What's the visibility of the water you are diving in?

Sorry to hear about your flood - have you determined why it happened? Hope all gear is replaced in a timely fashion so you can get out again.

r&wc:
i see everybody making comparisons but, when the comparisons are made, everybody leaves out the fact that for the price the reef master comes with a strobe and a macro lens,

This is true...pretty much because the comparable quality of the images to other units in the same price range (granted without the strobe) isn't great. The other units can produce better results as is (with no extra strobe or kit) than the reefmaster can with the add-ons. Especially macro - another $99 for the lens? I think it's starting to add up.

If you have a reefmaster and are happy with it - great, you made the right choice for you and that's all you can do. All opinions here from me and others are just opinions...take what you need and forget the rest :)

We are looking forward to seeing your photos - where are they??

I do not use a reef master camera, but think they are great for new photographers on a budget.

I do use a reef master slave strobe for special effect shots and would love to have about 4 more.

i did get the housing and the camera exchanged, the people at the store said they weere going to take it with them on their next dive and try to determine where it leaked

the only reason im buying lenses and so on without much experience on this camera is cuz im going to the florida keys this weekend and figured if im gonna get any cool shots its gonna be there

besides, i had to managers at divers direct tell me if i decide i dont like the camera or it floods again, i can return everything no questions asked

I'm still waiting to see some good clear pictures posted using a Reefmaster digital camera. Fors the same price that you can pick up a DC310 (I'm seeing $432-$499 online), you can get an Oly or other 3-4 mp digital and put in in a housing , you'll end up with more camera than the Reefmasters. You'll get good quality built in macro, likely get more zoom, better picture quality and flexibility in functions once you learn the camera a bit.

The reefmaster kit with the strobe is a better price than you'll likely be able to pick up a decent strobe for your name brand camera, but heck, you can pick up the Reefmaster strobe online for $189 if you want and that'll put your total package in nearly at the same price. If there's a reason the strobe is only compatible with reefmaster cameras (I don't think this is the case) then you'll need to pony up for a better strobe.

The only reefmasters I've been around have flooded, but the company is known for it's customer service.

If there are links to good Reefmaster 310 galleries, I'd like to see them to see how they compare to the pics my wife and I get from our 3 year old discontinued Oly's.

later,

Steve

r&wc:
i see everybody making comparisons but, when the comparisons are made, everybody leaves out the fact that for the price the reef master comes with a strobe and a macro lens, i priced out the other options and while it is true that you get a better land camera, the underwater oly option is more than twice the price for the same gear
well, i endded up buyng the reef master thursday went diving sunday and had to get the camera exchanged sunday afternoon because the housing flooded
i did get very nice pics on dive#1 even being an absolute underwater novice (diving and photography) but it died before dive#2 so got no pics there

well, im back from my trip to the keys, we did 4 dives (2 boat trips) and not a drop inside the housing, i think i got excellent pictures considering im a beginner photographer and a begginer diver, the better reef had one hell of a current so to say the least swimming was hard enough pics were nearly impossible, but i did a couple of very cool macro shots on one of the other dives that i though came out very nice, i will post them as soon as i figure out how

ok, i just uploaded a handfull, please keep in mind they are not perfect, mostely cuz im still getting used to judging distance underwater but given my experience level i am very happy with these pics

Back
Top Bottom