Reg breathes too dry???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lopez116

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi guys,

Once in a while I notice that my throat and my mouth become uncomfortably dry during a long dive. I know the air that is in a tank is incredibly dry vs normal ambient air. That is my understanding, at least.

Does anyone else have this issue? Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to alleviate some of the dryness?

FWIW I do not own my own reg. I use rentals.

Thanks guys

Hi guys,

Once in a while I notice that my throat and my mouth become uncomfortably dry during a long dive. I know the air that is in a tank is incredibly dry vs normal ambient air. That is my understanding, at least.

Does anyone else have this issue? Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to alleviate some of the dryness?

FWIW I do not own my own reg. I use rentals.

Thanks guys

I have the same problem, it usually gets me after about 15 minutes. I read somewhere that the compressed air in the tank is less than .1% humidity. I am sure someone who has more knowledge than I can confirm this. I have seen on different online diving shops filters that hook inline to your regulator and bring in moisture. I don't know how it works or how well it works, it was over my price range to try it.

Something as simple as changing mouthpieces can help. Does it make the air "wetter", no. However it can stimulate your glands in to producing more saliva. Or you can chew on your mouthpiece a little bit to help start the flow. I use seacure mouthpieces and found this helped me.

You don't want a wet reg. Drink more water, pee in your suit, and your body should adjust with practice. Or you can get the gimmicks, but then owning your own reg is more important.

The compressed air in your tank is deliberately dried to prevent the corrosion of the air tanks and to prevent free-flows in your regs when diving cold water. I have experienced an uncomfortably dry mouth several times - if you experience the same, thank your dive shop for giving you good air. I often dive in fresh water lakes - in this case, practice removing your reg and drinking the lake water - it is fun. In salt water you can carry hydration packs and drink them underwater.

Building on DD's post, there are two kinds of divers: those who pee in their wetsuits, and those who lie.

Cheers,

Crush

Building on DD's post, there are two kinds of divers: those who pee in their wetsuits, and those who lie.
It's best to do it in the water tho.

As you knew and others have confirmed your breathing air is very very dry and you are losing hydration with every breath. You can combat this to some extent by making sure you are well hydrated.

In many cases that alone will not suffice, especially as your dives get longer. When you feel that dry sensation coming on start thinking of a favorite food, pizza works for me. As saliva builds in your mouth remove your regulator and swish the saliva around and then you can swallow it down your throat as you retake your regulator. This can bring surprising relief.

New plastic regulators are most prone to this problem. older metal case second stages act as condensers and will recycle some of your exhaled moisture. Good serviceable metal second stages from the likes of USD, ScubaPro.... are easy to find.

Sherwood gets around this on the Oasis model (clever name) by adding a metal condenser fin inside a plastic body second stage. The Blizzard and Maximus models have comparable fins.

Lastly a double hose regulator can accommodate a little water in the sump of the mouthpiece. This does a nice job of delivering some hydration to your airway.

Apollo does have an inline moisture delivery device but that seems like a PITA and injecting moisture into the delivery side just doesn't set well with a cold water diver.

Pete

Last edited:
You can carry a camelbak. My husband does every dive I drink from his or carry my own. It's not too hard to figure out how to securely fasten it to your tank and rig the tube over your shoulder. Take a sip every few minutes to wet your mouth. Or, carry juice packs in your drysuit pockets.

I've never noticed dry mouth while diving. Maybe it just doesn't bother me. But I am usually ready for a small swig of water between & after dives. Peeing in wetsuit after drinking much water is not allowed at all. If need be, rig up an external catheter, but beware they usually don't work while in the water for a couple of physics reasons.

Back
Top Bottom