reg mounting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azdvr

Reaction score
Hello all.
I am new to tech diving, currently working on adv nitrox and deco procedures, TDI. After talking to a few people I have noticed some mount their primary air on the right post and some on the left post. which is correct? or does it not matter. Also deco vs. travel gas, which side? does it matter?
Thankyou, best diving.

Different dive courses will give you different answers to these questions. One school of thought has all bottles on the left side, another has them split between sides. Each has their adherents.

Do a search on the board for "DIR hose routing" and you should find some answers to your first question from one school of thought, it should also open up a whole new world of other questions.

Long hose and wing inflator on right post, (behind right shoulder). Back up reg, drysuit inflator, and spg on left post. If separate bottle worn for drysuit, take the hose off the first stage. The reason is that the left post is subject to being rolled off by the overhead. If the long hose was on that one, you'd shut off your air. Of course, if you roll it off and don't know it, you won't have backup. That's the argument for doing it the other way. My answer is that if you are in an overhead, and contact the ceiling, reach back and check that valve to insure it's on. Also, periodically check it during the dive if you think there is any chance it's rolled off.

I don't think there's any excuse for having a valve roll off and not knowing it.

If you can't easily reach back and check valves, you should work on that until you can. One way is to remain in the horizontal position, loosen your waist belt, go slightly head down, sliding your tanks towards your head, and your valve will be easy to reach. That's what I have to do, I'm very stiff. I do some exercises to loosen up, but I still cant reach back and get it easily.

I carry stages on the left. I don't carry more than two at this point, I guess if I get up to four I'll reconsider.

By the way, this is, I believe, the same way the "DIR" people do it. I am not DIR in some ways, and hope this doesnt' start a flamin' debate.

Campana once bubbled...
Long hose and wing inflator on right post, (behind right shoulder). Back up reg, drysuit inflator, and spg on left post.

when you say left and right post is that my left or the left when facing the tanks ?

It depends on the way you're looking at the tank. :p

The "right/left" orientation refers to the different sides when you have the tanks on your back. If the tanks are on your back, the right post is over your right shoulder. The left post is over your left shoulder.

Or, if you don't like that, we can get really confusing: if you are facing the tanks with the valve openings toward you, the "right post" is on your left, and the "left post" is on your right.

If you are facing the tanks with the valve openings away from you, the right post is on the right side, and the left post is on the left side.

Clear enough?

"Postness" is the side that the valve is on when wearing the cylinders. So if you reach back over your right shoulder, you're dealing with the right post.

Now, to confuse things, "valveness" is exactly the opposite. Valveness is what side the valve knob is on when looking at the opening to the valve. So a right post has the knob on the left when looking at the front of the valve, so it's a left valve.

A "normal" K valve is a left valve.

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom