Reg Service DIY or LDS ?

Regs Do You DIY Service Or Take Them to a LDS ?

• I Service My Own Regs At Home

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • LDS Service's My Regs

Votes: 30 66.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do it myself. I do trust the guy at my LDS to do a good job at it, but I like tinkering with things...

If I could, I would do my own reg. I think you need to know about your equipment as much as the service tech.

I rembered a mechanic tells me I needed new shocks for my brand new pick up truck in for the first oil change. Last week, the ford dealer mechanics tells me I needed over $1000 worth of repair for an engine light failure. He claimed that the oxygen fuel sensor, the spark plug wires, and a "hole" in the manifold caused the light problem

Bottom line was, it just needed a new sensor like all ford products between 60 and 100 K... So I asked him, show me the hole in the manifold... Then he said, he misunderstood the mechanic, ....

Regs are alot simpler than cars to understand.... In my opinion.

I service my own regs.
But I'm a qualified service tech, retired diving instructor.
I have O2 cleaning and gas blender ratings also.

Mike D

As far as servicing your own gear, you'll find that most manuf. won't sell to the general public. Also, if you need to show records for warranty reasons, the manuf. will not honor self serviced equipment. Seems a little crazy in the respect that, an auto parts house will sell brake systems to anybody. If that person screws up and doesn't get the breaks right, can't stop, and runs into a car full of kids killing everyone, but a scuba shop can't sell a rebuild kit to a person that feels he/she can service their own equipment with complete competency. Heck, the SCUBA gear will only kill the fool that had no business rebuilding his/her rig! Maybe, if a person were to show a technition cert., the manuf. could see it in there closed minds to sell to that select group of the public. Because, the kits come from the manuf. with the statement," Not For Resale" , the LDS can not LEGALLY sell these kits to the general public. It seems a little crazy, but thats the way it is. Also, the tools required too rebuild/test regs are very spendy, So, unless you have an abundance of cash, or you are just a SCUBA JUNKY, and have to, the price per dive,( that everyone talks about) goes thru the roof!!!
It's your choice, I rebuild my own, I mix my own, I trust my own, and I dive my own! Doesn't say anything about FREE with a donation, it just says "Not For Resale"!! So, if any manuf. get around to reading this,(LOL) Maybe you could rethink this and let the LDS make some money on the rebuild kits without having too take take the time and hassle of dealing with the actuall servicing.

Dive safe/Train hard
Joe

I would service my own if I had some experience with a qualified service tech watching and checking my work the first couple of time. Right now, I have a very experienced tech and LDS owner that works on my regs. Why? Because he doesn't give you any crap about where you bought it! He can fix about anything and does quality work. He will not hesitate to rebuilt your regs.

One other thing about him....he told me with my AL Titan LX, not have it rebuilt the first year, but rather the second. Told me to save some money!

Superficial stuff I will go with, but for real servicings and problems I bring all the gear I use for students to my LDS, one more way to cover my but.

I service my out of Warranty regs myself, with tools and parts available to me from my LDS, they service the ones in warranty to make sure they stay that way.

When it comes to regs, I let my LDS service them. I don't know how to do myself. But I do always test them in shallow water after they are serviced. It's not that I don't trust the shop, but even the best tech has a bad day once in awhile. I do my own visuals but I have also been traind by PSI for visuals. With seven tanks, it was cheaper to get trained then to pay every year.

The_DivePirate:
As far as servicing your own gear, you'll find that most manuf. won't sell to the general public. Also, if you need to show records for warranty reasons, the manuf. will not honor self serviced equipment. Seems a little crazy in the respect that, an auto parts house will sell brake systems to anybody. If that person screws up and doesn't get the breaks right, can't stop, and runs into a car full of kids killing everyone, but a scuba shop can't sell a rebuild kit to a person that feels he/she can service their own equipment with complete competency. Heck, the SCUBA gear will only kill the fool that had no business rebuilding his/her rig! Maybe, if a person were to show a technition cert., the manuf. could see it in there closed minds to sell to that select group of the public. Because, the kits come from the manuf. with the statement," Not For Resale" , the LDS can not LEGALLY sell these kits to the general public. It seems a little crazy, but thats the way it is. Also, the tools required too rebuild/test regs are very spendy, So, unless you have an abundance of cash, or you are just a SCUBA JUNKY, and have to, the price per dive,( that everyone talks about) goes thru the roof!!!
It's your choice, I rebuild my own, I mix my own, I trust my own, and I dive my own! Doesn't say anything about FREE with a donation, it just says "Not For Resale"!! So, if any manuf. get around to reading this,(LOL) Maybe you could rethink this and let the LDS make some money on the rebuild kits without having too take take the time and hassle of dealing with the actuall servicing.

Dive safe/Train hard
Joe

In many cases, it's not that LDSs can't sell service kits, it's that they choose not to. In some cases, the choice may be made by the line of gear they carry (dealer agreement) or the insurance they choose to carry. Usually when I am told they can't sell service kits to me, I interpret that as they're having some problem with the truth so it's not really a shop I want to do business with anyway.

Well, when the parts kits that I recieve from the LDS says right on the label "Not For Resale" to me that means the LDS cannot sell the kits to the public. And as far as, NOT TRUSTING YOUR LDS" that's why my dive buddy and I bought a compressor and all the fixins. Possibly looking into starting a new shop in town, since there is only one, and seems to be quite a monopoly. Very much, all about the cash!!!! not about the customer. The other thing is they really have no interest in tech side. We'll see?

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom