Reg Setup - Can I DIY?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would be interested to know if you were to call LP and have them talk you through the process over the phone how things work out. Sort of a "scuba tech support." Of course you want to have all your tool and a full tank handy.....and don't forget to re-boot....sorry, got carried away.

Try it and post the results.

couv

When I bought my reg/octo/spg from LP, I had negociated getting the whole thing setup by them. Then when officially placing the order, I didn't mention it (I thought it was settled), they shipped it all separate. Which ended up fine, since I learned how to set it up myself. To my knowledge (at least with the brand I bought), the reg/octo/spg should be packaged "ready for instalation" and not "need" adjustment. Mine didn't need adjustment at all; it worked fine out of the box. This said, double checking/ tweeking by a competent dive shop is surely not a bad thing to do, but it isn't absolutely necessary (some will surely disagree with this). But in my oppinion, what is absolutely necessary is after you install the hoses, go test your setup in a shallow pool dive! Spend an hour just testing everything and checking for leaks. If all is OK, go diving. But I would still keep an eye on it for the few first deeper dives and stay near my buddy.

Just my 0.02$

You could have LP check the IP and cracking pressure of the 2nds, then just screw in the hoses yourself. It's only a little more complicated than screwing in a light bulb. This way the reg can get shipped in the box, with the octo in it's separate box.

You could have LP check the IP and cracking pressure of the 2nds, then just screw in the hoses yourself. It's only a little more complicated than screwing in a light bulb. This way the reg can get shipped in the box, with the octo in it's separate box.

Well I emailed LP and they responded back and said they will assemble it all for me, which is great.

I will definetely check it all in the pool beforehand though.

Any tips on what/how to check a new reg setup? I'm assuming I should check for leaks near all the hose connections, at the first stage connection to the tank, etc. Is there anything else "special" that I will need to do?

Thanks.

You can definitely do the hoses yourself. It's a snap. The bigger question is does a new reg set need to be tuned, or merely assembled. (And I don't know the answer, mine came set up from Dive Rite Express.)

How much past hand tight is a good question and depends on how much the o-ring compresses. It is more of a feeling than anything else, but more than 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn is probably way too much.

This must vary by maker. On my Dive Rites, once I make the connection finger-tight I can't move it even 1/16 of a turn. So I'd say, finger-tight then "snug it" with a tool, and if that means you can't even see the fitting move, fine, don't force it.

I know some people who only do the hoses finger-tight but I prefer just a bit more torque so there's no chance of things working loose when unpressurized.

I do a few checks on mine each time I pack for a trip.

First, I plug the 1st stage inlet (where it connects to the tank) and take a huge inhale on each second stage. If you get any air at all, start looking for where the leak is.

Second, I put the reg on a tank and attach an IP gauge (~$20). If the IP is in the right range and stays steady, then good.

Finally, I test the cracking pressure on each 2nd by lowering it into the water with the mouthpiece facing up.

FWIW - None of this is new or unique to me. Loads of divers do the same, I'm sure.

Those steps won't spot every problem, but just this year I've spotted 2 problems before they caused problems.

All of that might sound complicated at first, but if you can find someone to show you how to do it in person it will only take a few minutes.

Rich

Well I emailed LP and they responded back and said they will assemble it all for me, which is great.

I will definetely check it all in the pool beforehand though.

Any tips on what/how to check a new reg setup? I'm assuming I should check for leaks near all the hose connections, at the first stage connection to the tank, etc. Is there anything else "special" that I will need to do?

Thanks.

I hope you don't mind my cut and paste from a previous post I made:

There are a few checks that everyone is capable of doing. One is the intermediate pressure check. Get a simple 300 psi pressure gage from Ace Hardware (I like the helpful hardware man better that the giant store types) and adapt it to your quick disconnect http://www.diveriteexpress.com/regs/hoses.shtml. Find out the what the IP range should be for your regulator (most are ~ 135 +/- 10 psi).

Another check is the cracking pressure of each second stage. Fill your kitchen sink and immerse the regulator with the mouth piece up and see if it begins to flow before the diaphragm gets more than a couple of inches deep. You may have to put plastic tubing in place of the mouth piece to do this. If you want to get fancy make a simple manometer from plastic tubing and a yard stick http://www.komar.org/faq/manometer/

Finally, a water tight check is also very easy to perform. Hook the first stage up to a tank and without turning on the air (if you have a good tight dust cap you can use that instead) draw a breath until you hear the second stage diaphragm retract. You do not want to draw too hard as it will collapse the exhaust valves and cause a leak. Will the reg hold vacuum? If so, it is probably water tight and vice-versa.

These simple checks can be done by anyone. They should be done often, not to mention when new out of the box or after shop service.

Check early, check often.

couv

I may be wrong and frequently am but I think some regulators have different operating pressures. some work with higher pressures at the second stage(poseidon?). You may want to look into that if your second stage primary or safe second isn't a "factory" match to the first stage.

I may be wrong and frequently am but I think some regulators have different operating pressures. some work with higher pressures at the second stage(poseidon?). You may want to look into that if your second stage primary or safe second isn't a "factory" match to the first stage.

Thanks to all who responded. LP will ship the regs assembled but I will also get my "other" LDS (not the jealous one) to check and test once I receive them. Costs $50 and gets done same day, can't lose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom