regardless of price, odd that no XZ-2 users have popped up....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LX7 is going for $348 now. Amazing price for a great camera. Last I checked the RX100 was $648. You can buy a lot with $300. That's almost the cost difference between a Nauticam housing and an Ikelite.

You can do a lot with the RX100's around 3x larger sensor and double the true resolution as well. You do pay for it a bit on the marco side with the RX100 though.

The Sony rx100 has the best image quality but it is a more demanding camera compared to the lx7 and it would seem to the xz2
For occasional use I would also consider if it fits in a pocket and the rx100 is the smallest having said that it is expensive
I think this xz2 package could be interesting but not on par with the other two cameras
The lx7 had the best intelligent auto mode I have seen on land including DSLR that makes it perfect for tourist type shots

The Sony rx100 has the best image quality but it is a more demanding camera compared to the lx7 and it would seem to the xz2
For occasional use I would also consider if it fits in a pocket and the rx100 is the smallest

How is the RX100 demanding? Are you thinking in terms of lenses needed for UW use? Or in terms of controls, settings etc.?

The pocket-ability is a nice feature of the RX100 though.

Demanding because of large sensor in terms of depth of field less forgiving

Thanks, gotcha. Would you think the DoF is manageable for an "intermediate" user (i.e. I have some "dry" photographic experience), given the RX100's auto focus and a careful selection of aperture?

Also; in terms of general capabilities without extra lenses etc. is it fair to say that the LX7 and the XZ-2 would give a "broader" range of uses, from "close" close-ups to wide, than the RX100 - given the RX100 needs lenses for close-up?

I don't consider myself a very good shutterbug but I don't consider the RX100 anymore demanding than previous compacts I have owned. I think it's a much more capable camera but not really any more demanding. The menu is different for sure, but maybe I am oversimplifying it.

good question. i know lotsa folks, including myself rolled with the XZ-1 for some time. i really got some usage out of the camera, no regrets.ive moved on to my new setup, however the XZ-2 was on the radar -BUT- d a m n , sticker shock galore. if they would have budged on the price, i would have purchased it.oh well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom