Regulator for Pony setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awap once bubbled...
I'm using a Mk2/R190 (recycled my original reg) on a sling mount 13. The 13 and the 19 are a couple pounds negative so a light weight 1st helps. I use a 13 to simplify travel. I started with a back mount with a single strap BC. It worked OK but I had to detune the reg to control freeflows. When I went to a BP with 2 tank straps, the third strap for the pony was a real PITA. So I converted to a sling which I perfer. Only minor complaint is I would rather have the smaller R380 than the R190, but the price was right.

I also use a ScubaPro Mark2 for my pony. It is one of my extra regs, that I would normally use for my shallowest stage tank, at 20 ft, or for my argon bottle.

I am starting to question this, however, since the Mark2 is not a balanced reg. Think about it. If you go to the pony, you could be deep, as deep as 100 ft. You are using a small tank, so the tank pressure is going to swing markedly from 3000 psi to 150 psi possibly. The Mark2 is probably not the best choice.

But the Mark2 is relatively inexpensive for ScubaPro products. So the price is right.

Okay, I'm open to trying something out that may be better. What is the best way to sling a pony and where do I get the straps/whetever to do it?

Thanks.

You'd have to hit a yoke pretty hard to knock it off. And secondly, you "charge" the system before you enter the water, so the high pressure IS on, the fitting, even when you turn it back off until it's required.

Oh yes, having it slung instead of back mounted eliminates the problem of a dislodged 1st stage or any other problem, since by having it slung, you can easily attach and unattach the reg.

You ever dislodge a yoke stage/pony? Didn't think so.

Thanks for adding yet another reason for slinging it stage style.

I'd go DIN all the way, but since you guys are talking Yoke, keeping them all the same is the conventional way.

Recharging the reg every 5 to 10 minutes had become fairly rote. So as I asked myself why the knob felt so hard just then, I realized it was the wrong knob. My fix was to change out the plastic knob on the yoke with an old wingnut style. Problem fixed.

When I see the word 'sidemount' I think of something like the armadillo rig for tight caves where all tanks are slung at the divers sides. Calling a pony mounted on the side of the main tank is likely to confuse things. Tank, or bracket mount would be a better term.

Stage rigged, and carried slung on the left side is my first choice for a pony.

Regarding what reg to use.....I have the same reg for my backgas and my pony. Although this was a more expensive option, it is really nice to have everything completely interchangeable and consistent. For dives where I'm not using the pony, having it along is the ultimate "save a dive kit" for my reg, since you can easily switch hoses, o-rings, etc. The controls on each reg are the same.....making switching from one to the other easier.

My $0.02.

PhilD once bubbled... Okay, I'm open to trying something out that may be better. What is the best way to sling a pony and where do I get the straps/whetever to do it?

Thanks.
Don't bother with the kits they sell at the dive shops.

Two boltsnaps, a bandclamp, some line and maybe some rubber tape will get you there.

http://tekdiver.com/stagebottle.asp

I don't remember where the pictures are, but I'm sure I can find one if someone here doesn't jump in with one.

Steve,

Why are you thinking of using a pony? Using a pony as a substitute for a buddy or good buddy skills is not a good idea. Using a pony to extend bottom time is a very bad idea, as is using a pony to compensate for poor gas management. You should never, ever run out of gas. If you ever do it’s time for some serious soul searching! The only good reason I can think of for a pony is as a redundant SCUBA in case of equipment failure, i.e. free flow or burst hose at depth.

What are you basing your pony size selection on? If you are going to carry a pony it is very important that you understand the capability of the redundant SCUBA that the pony provides. For example does a 13cf bottle contain enough gas for you and your buddy to swim 100 yards to the anchor line at 115 feet and then surface safely, or does it only contain enough air for you to make a direct assent to the surface. Or, do you have time to float a surface marker before heading to the surface and then do a safety stop. Even more importantly practice deploying and using the pony so you’re familiar with it. Without understanding the capability and practicing with a pony setup it can do more harm than good by providing a false sense of security.

As far as the regulator goes I would not use any regulator that I would not feel comfortable using as my primary.

IMO stage slung is the best option for carrying a pony for a host of reasons including the ability to dump or handoff the rig, visibility and accessibility of the regulator and gauge.

I occasionally carry a pony as a redundant SCUBA but have fortunately never used it other than for training. When I use a pony I have a AL-30 stage slung with an Apex DS4-TX40.

As far as valves I think the best approach is to maintain consistency. I prefer DIN on everything. As far as a Yoke regulator falling off the tank, I think someone put nitrous oxide in Karl’s Nitrox tank.

P.S. Don’t forget a pressure gauge for your setup; what good is a tank when you don’t know how much gas is in it?

Mike

Thanks for the info. Looks simple enough. I'll give it go and see how it works out. One last question, I've seen various references to a "suicide clip", what is it?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom