Regulator savvy book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought Harlow's regulator book just a few weeks ago (along with the Oxy Hacker's book, which is also great.) I have no intention of cracking open my nearly new AL reg for a year or two, but I really like the idea of buying an old reg or two from craig's list or ebay to learn / practice on. Any thoughts about common old 1st and 2nd stages that would be fairly similar internally to a more modern AquaLung Titan LX? Or is it mainly a matter of a diaphragm vs. piston design? (I'll want to learn on a diaphragm reg, at least to start.)

-Don
Any old Conshelf will be identical inside. Rebuilt kit #900001

Conshelfs don't typically go for "cheap" but you cna get one reasonably priced. I picked up a couple via a CL bulk sale and I love mine. To the OP, buy both books. Read the savvy book for a much better understanding of the design choices and the Harlow book for hands-on, as others have indicated. I wrote a review of both books a couple years ago. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bo...ator-maintenance-repair.html?highlight=harlow

Conshelfs don't typically go for "cheap" but you cna get one reasonably priced. I picked up a couple via a CL bulk sale and I love mine. To the OP, buy both books. Read the savvy book for a much better understanding of the design choices and the Harlow book for hands-on, as others have indicated. I wrote a review of both books a couple years ago. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bo...ator-maintenance-repair.html?highlight=harlow
It depends on what kinds of friends and neighbors you have.
Both of my conshelfs, a late 60's XI and a more recent 21 were both free along with a Cousteau in a bag of stuff that was considered "junk".
I've been given free Dacor stuff that isn't really relevant anymore but they make good paper weights, especially the old Olympics.
I found that once I mocked up the want and interest for used gear it just seemed to come my way.
I have a whole collection of vintage and not so vintage steel 72's that are wonderful and all passed hydro, all for free because they were considered "junk" by today's standards.
Hey cool man, give me your junk! ....
I haven't had to buy any gear for years since there seems to be so much free junk out there.
I just scored more free dive gear at my LDS which has a "free" bin. People bring in old dive gear and throw it in the bin, then someone else comes along and snags it. I scored an original Hawaiian pack with the two shoulder bars, remember those? I'll use it too since part of the fun of diving for me is to go retro and use all that old stuff. I just think it's cool and it makes me happy.

I have both Savvy and Vance's book. Being somewhat of a nerd on things like that I found Savvy easy to read and understand. It lays a foundation of understanding that is put into practical use by it and Vance's book. I like the spiral format since you can fold it and read one page at a time. Takes up less space than the binder version. Reg Savvy is the required text for the HOG reg course for a reason. It's detailed and provides a clear understanding of HOW regs work with well done simple diagrams and takes one through the more complex ones. It is not light reading to be sure. But when you make it through it you do have a better than average understanding of regs. Better than some "factory trained" techs.

Great info and questions! Most of my questions others have asked so I'll sit back and keep an eye on this. Tools will be next. I have an ultrasonic cleaner and many tools that I fix fishing reels with and will be looking for tips on what tools or jigs you can make and not need to spend a fortune.

Thanks.

I have a selection of AL's but its my Scubapros that I really need to learn to service myself. Specifically MK25 and S555's. One set of which is O2 clean.

I have already started watching eBay and Craig's list and gathering schematics. Need to start a tools list as well and I guess I am going to need a ultrasonic cleaner too.

You might start by getting a MK5 or MK10 (or MK20 if you can find one cheap) and a G500 or G200B, the condition doesn't matter. You can use those as practice regs. You really do not need an ultrasonic; it's nice to have, but you can still get things plenty clean without. It just takes a little more time.

Here's my list of essential tools for working on SP regs:

1. The scubapro multi tool. You can actually work around this, but it's so useful and reasonably priced, it makes sense to get it.
2. A couple of nice o-ring picks, including the double hook one from scubatools. Get the steel ones, forget about brass. The softer metal will still scratch your regs if you're careless.
3. The MK20/25 bushing installation tool. Again, you can work around it, but having this will save you a headache someday, and it's not that expensive.
4. If you have yoke regs, you'll need a yoke socket. Scubatools has a nice expensive one, I have a cheap DIY one that awap made for me.
5. Forget the inline 2nd stage adjustment tool, I wouldn't even bother with a magnehelic. 2nd stages are very easy to adjust by feel and with a sink full of water. It just takes a bit longer.
6. For the MK5/10 you need a piston bullet, and herman's HP o-ring installation tool is so great I would never do without it. For the MK20/25 you don't need either.

Once you get some experience at this, you might want to start working on your AL regs; if they're conshelf-based (most are) then herman makes another great tool for installing the 1st stage internal parts, filter, and circlip.

None of these tools are expensive, they might be less all together than an inline tool is by itself.

You might start by getting a MK5 or MK10 (or MK20 if you can find one cheap) and a G500 or G200B, the condition doesn't matter. You can use those as practice regs. You really do not need an ultrasonic; it's nice to have, but you can still get things plenty clean without. It just takes a little more time.

Here's my list of essential tools for working on SP regs:

1. The scubapro multi tool. You can actually work around this, but it's so useful and reasonably priced, it makes sense to get it.
2. A couple of nice o-ring picks, including the double hook one from scubatools. Get the steel ones, forget about brass. The softer metal will still scratch your regs if you're careless.
3. The MK20/25 bushing installation tool. Again, you can work around it, but having this will save you a headache someday, and it's not that expensive.
4. If you have yoke regs, you'll need a yoke socket. Scubatools has a nice expensive one, I have a cheap DIY one that awap made for me.
5. Forget the inline 2nd stage adjustment tool, I wouldn't even bother with a magnehelic. 2nd stages are very easy to adjust by feel and with a sink full of water. It just takes a bit longer.
6. For the MK5/10 you need a piston bullet, and herman's HP o-ring installation tool is so great I would never do without it. For the MK20/25 you don't need either.

Once you get some experience at this, you might want to start working on your AL regs; if they're conshelf-based (most are) then herman makes another great tool for installing the 1st stage internal parts, filter, and circlip.

None of these tools are expensive, they might be less all together than an inline tool is by itself.
Great info. Thanks! I have expanded my used reg search to include the SP's you listed and plan to go ahead and get the recommended tools too.

SP 108s and 109s are also very well thought of if you're looking for old regs.

Great info, especially about Herman's tool for AL 1st stages, but I'm left with one dumb question: who's Herman, and how do I contact him? :dork2:
-Don

OK, here's another question: I can get a used household ultrasonic bath for "cleaning jewelry" from a local thrift store for <$20... is that type sufficient powerful to be useful, or do Real Men use $500 industrial strength machines with titanium horns capable of liquifying tissue samples in mere seconds?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom