Regulator Service $120

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShoeGal:
From what I hear, that sounds about right. I just called a couple of stores and asked.

ShoeGal,

Thanks for making the calls. That was very kind of you to do that.

Dee:
I took an old set of SP regs in for service today and was quoted $120, too. Seems to be the norm.

Yep. $120 bucks or so for a regulator not in parts warranty is typical.

I guess you can't blame the dive shop though. They got to make profit
somewhere, especially if they have to compete with other shops or
the internet to sell regulators. Making a few bucks off a parts kit is to
be expected. Besides, if you compare it to other service departments,
most places make more money servicing any item than they do selling it.

The nice thing about getting it serviced locally and buying it locally,
is that when I had a problem with it acting up, I was able to take it to
the shop that day and get it checked (for free under warranty).

DA_Aquamaster:
A better option for purchasing used equipment is to buy the rental regulators from your local dive shop. Dive shops are normally able to get new rental regs for very low prices from the companies they represent and are able to sell them as used after 1 or 2 years. So, many dive shops will sell their 1 or 2 year old rental gear for about the cost of replacing it with new rental equipment from the company and this can be a very sweet deal for a diver. A reputable shop will do a fresh annual service with the sale, and a great dive shop will thrown in free parts on the next 1 or 2 services as sort of a mini in-shop warranty.

This is an excellent idea, but all depends on the shop.
Some shops keep their rental gear in excellent shape, others their equipment
is complete junk and in VERY POOR SHAPE. One of our local shops years ago
was selling their rental equipment and I had rented it before and knew better
than to buy it. They've since gone out of business. Another local shop
near me now is selling their rental stuff, but for essentially when you can buy
it for new, so why buy used in a case like that.

The "good" shop in our area sells their rental gear for a great price about
once a year and it's all been serviced. So it's a great deal, especially for
students or new divers needing gear.

I agree, the shop where I do the tech thing, acquired another shop and they had rental gear that was low end to begin with and was now at least 20 years old and was pretty much obsolete even with good maintenence.

I really don't see the reason for this given the rental programs offerered by good scuba companies. If a shop can upgrade it's rentals at almost no cost every couple of years and create a pool of rental regs to sell to entry level divers, why not take advantage of it?

Do all of you still have your original receipt from your reg purchase. I can't seem to find mine, but i still have the warranty information card. Are they going to ask for the receipt?

tau:
Do all of you still have your original receipt from your reg purchase. I can't seem to find mine, but i still have the warranty information card. Are they going to ask for the receipt?

I've still got my receipt, But I get it serviced at the shop where I bought it so
they never ask for it.

IF you are taking it to the shop you bought it from, you shouldn't have any issues.

Don't you think that it is funny to bring the reg. to the shop where we bought to get the right service in a fair price? Even though you bought your reg. from the authorized dealer, why can't we bring the reg to any authorized dealers and get the same service charge? I have seen many dive shops that refused the service if the reg. hasn't been purchased from them. Don't get me wrong, this scuba industry is a fuuny and strange market. Do you bring your car always to the dealer shop where you bought from? I bring my car any dealer shops to get the warranty and annual service. I don't see any dealer shops that charge differently wherever you bought from. This is a fair market. My 2 cents though...

The Aqualung warrenty for free parts states that you must have the regulator inspected every year and that it must be overhauled every other year (unless it is subjected to more than 50 dives per year, then it will require overhaul service every year).

You may be required to provide proof of purchase from an Authorized Dealer as well as proof that you have completed the inspections and overhauls. Also make sure that the retailer that is servicing your regulator participates in this program. Not all retailers need to participate.

Hope this info helps.

Ann Marie:
The Aqualung warrenty for free parts states that you must have the regulator inspected every year and that it must be overhauled every other year (unless it is subjected to more than 50 dives per year, then it will require overhaul service every year).

You may be required to provide proof of purchase from an Authorized Dealer as well as proof that you have completed the inspections and overhauls. Also make sure that the retailer that is servicing your regulator participates in this program. Not all retailers need to participate.

Hope this info helps.

Ann,

Does Sports Chalet hold a record of my Reg purchase. If I lost my receipt and I am willing to pay for all parts and labor, will my reg be under warranty the following year, or am I out of luck from now on. :11:

Ann Marie:
Also make sure that the retailer that is servicing your regulator participates in this program. Not all retailers need to participate.

Hope this info helps.

I am not sure if I understand your statment correctly. I don't have that much experience about Aqua lung though. As I understand, the authorized dealer means in US that they are participating in the program. Otherwise, they aren't the authorized dealer. I know it is a different story when you bring your regulator outside of US because many regional headquaters don't provide the free part program. For example, you can't get the free part in Japan even though you bought it from the authorized dealer in US.

The big problem we have to think about the dealer participation is that each dealer shop can refuse any services based on their interests. That's, they have a right not to service your regulator even though you bought it from the authorized dealer. That is another biggest problem in scuba industry. The dealer shops are able to have two faces about the authorized dealer status, either as a seller or as a service prodiver. LOL~~~

No, Sport Chalet doesn't keep record of customer purchases. If you paid by credit card, call the credit card company and ask if you can have a copy of that transaction. Don't know if that is something that they keep, but is sure is worth trying to check it out.

(I personally don't get it why receipts must be kept. They are usually printed on the type of paper that turns black if exposed to heat or the printing fades right off it in a couple of years. Guess that is a whole 'nother whine and cheese post.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom