Remove reg hoses for travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there a problem with removing the hoses?? No, as long as plugs and caps are used appropriately. But the question is why would you???

I have never had to do such and I travel with my regs, mask, and dive computer in my carry-on. In fact, just got back from a trip. The secret is to NOT tightly coil but place the hoses along the outer edges with 1st and 2nd stages facing inward and cushioned with clothes. For my mask, I roll 2 underwear into the face piece and another wraps the "package".

I carry my laptop inside the carry-on, along with my camera and housing.

The only thing TSA has been interested in is my laptop (which I always take out while going through security). I have never had TSA inspect regs, dive computer, or camera.

As others have already stated...
You can spend the time removing the reg hoses from your reg setup, but most people don't bother. Whatever convenience you save in carry-on packing will likely be overshadowed by the inconvenience of having to re-assemble the reg at your destination.
With the right tools, knowledge, and experience, removing/replacing reg hoses isn't a big deal.
With a newbie diver, the risk of cross-threading a connection or overtightening a junction increases. It's not worth the risk, if you ask me.

Loosely curl your reg setup into a carry-on bag in the form of a suitcase-shape or backpack. Unpack it at your destination and be happy.
Keep it simple. Don't over-think the whole packing-for-a-dive-trip thing.

I sometimes will remove 1 or 2 of the low pressure hoses from each first stage so I can pack more regs into my carry on bag. I travel with 3 full sets of regs , 2 pony set ups, back up lights, computers,
2 cameras, and some clothing in my carry on bag.
Removing the hoses works just fine for me.

Jim Breslin

I was thinking: What is the advisability of removing the LP and HP hoses from the 1st stage for travel? I would of course install plugs in the holes, and cap the hoses. I would have spare o-rings, lube, and wrenches. I'm intending on traveling with our regs and other heavy items as carry-on. Dis-assembled, they would be easier to carry, with less strain on the connections. Comments? Suggestions?

I'd never thought of this but I like the idea. I have an extra hose attached to my first stage - a backup spg - and it has made it clumsy to coil it up in the same bag I was using before (the one that is "just the right size" to fit with everything else). If I detach just that one hose I can still comfortably put it in the same bag, but without the stress on the connection and without it being oddly bulky. Thanks for the idea.

I agree with Garrobo. I have both carried on and checked regs over the past 14 years of dive travel on dozens of occasions, and never had a problem. I coil each rig and put it in it's own "reg bag" when its in checked baggage, and do the same when carrying on. If space is an issue, then you are carrying on an awful lot of stuff. In any even, I think each person has a right to pack the way they want. I avoid disconnecting anything that doesn't need to be, except for repair and service.
DivemasterDennis

I'd never thought of this but I like the idea. I have an extra hose attached to my first stage - a backup spg - and it has made it clumsy to coil it up in the same bag I was using before (the one that is "just the right size" to fit with everything else). If I detach just that one hose I can still comfortably put it in the same bag, but without the stress on the connection and without it being oddly bulky. Thanks for the idea.
@kimbalabala: Why do you feel the need to have a backup SPG? Analog SPGs are quite reliable.

@kimbalabala: Why do you feel the need to have a backup SPG? Analog SPGs are quite reliable.

I dive with an air integrated HUD mask (Oceanic) and there have been moments when camera strobe has interfered with the transmitter for my mask. If something oddball were to happen and I lost the reading completely I want to have a backup - and I have my Gekko as backup for all the other information.

Personally, I always have an analog backup spg for anything wireless.. When in doubles I have two analog spg's.. One for each 1st stage.
I've now experienced two analog spg's that ended up reading off as much as 400 psig. Backup SPG's are never a bad idea..

I dive with an air integrated HUD mask (Oceanic) and there have been moments when camera strobe has interfered with the transmitter for my mask. If something oddball were to happen and I lost the reading completely I want to have a backup - and I have my Gekko as backup for all the other information.
That's understandable. I've heard/observed that the firing of camera strobes can interfere with wireless transmitters underwater.
Personally, I always have an analog backup spg for anything wireless.. When in doubles I have two analog spg's.. One for each 1st stage.
I've now experienced two analog spg's that ended up reading off as much as 400 psig. Backup SPG's are never a bad idea..
I check my analog SPGs as part of my pre-dive check routine. I have yet to encounter a problem with a SPG underwater that did not exist previously topside. I suppose it's possible, though.

I have encountered analog SPGs that didn't work quite right. However, a 400 psi inaccuracy really shouldn't significantly affect dive logistics unless it affects zeroing of the gauge (when the tank is empty) or the region of the gauge corresponding with turn-pressure.

I understand the reason why a diver with a wireless transmitter might want an analog backup SPG. I suppose having an analog SPG on each first stage while using a doubles manifold would allow a diver to read the pressure in each tank independently (when the isolator is closed). With certain other gear configurations, I've seen divers get a little obsessive with their "backups." I don't quite get why a diver with a hosed/wired air-integrated computer would want to back it up with an analog SPG. Both electronic and analog SPGs are quite reliable. In the event of a rare gauge failure, the common sense approach is to abort the dive.

Back
Top Bottom