Rental gear Stinks!! And potential new buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I need to get better at reading the title of threads, I was all excited waiting to learn how your dry suit had sunk and if you managed to recover it.

Snowbear once bubbled...

most PADI instructors teach skills while kneeling on the bottom....

yeah, that's a problem with the skills part of open water checkouts. I have no idea how it's done in warm water with good vis, but here in the puget sound, we (me and other instructors i know) plant the students on the bottom so we can find them in the murk. also, if a student is neutral and floating a little bit, they tend to thrash around causing even more silt out. being slightly negative myself also helps me control a student if they bolt for any reason.

Once we begin the tour part, then we focus on good bouyancy, and i differentiate the artificial (skills) part of the dive from the other part (tour) so my students know why i do things differently in different situations.

I'm surprised that you got yelled at. i want my DM's to have great bouyancy skills.

Im a seasoned diver and associated with padi and it bothers me to hear slurs against the organization. I feel there is good and bad in all things, not just padi. I have dove with people from all walks, padi, acuc, navy divers etc...... It has been my experience that there was good and not so good in all. Judge a person on their diving ability and knowledge not the organization that certified them. I offer this as a suggestion only.

Sincerely,
Steve.

dcsdiving once bubbled...
here in the puget sound, we (me and other instructors i know) plant the students on the bottom so we can find them in the murk.

Glad I don't dive where you and other instructors you know teach classes. There are plenty of instructors teaching classes neutral in the Puget Sound, no problem transitioning to the "other part" of a dive when you establish neutral buoyancy first.

Wingtip once bubbled...

Glad I don't dive where you and other instructors you know teach classes.

well, you might.

i assume you're one of the experienced, neutral instructors, and that visibility, current, control and safety are no problem for you.

it's always good to have a free, rancor free discussion on the web.

thanks for your constructive input.

I'm just a diver that found a shop that teaches neutral buoyancy. Visibility through "the murk" isn't a problem when no one is kicking up the bottom, control and safety should be established in the pool. And are you teaching ow in the currents? nice.

wing. either you don't dive around here much or you haven't been diving long.

safe diving to you.

cheers.

I dive around here often and have for many years. You probably haven't seen me due to the siltout.

Thanks, safe diving to you too

Back
Top Bottom