Renting a Car in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for the link... i've done some reading, sounds like Roatan is actually
*better* than the mainland, but still dangerous, particularly after dark

did you have any problems driving during the day?

also, what specific things make you think drivingin in Roatan was not something
you wanted to do?

H2Andy:
:11:

i said i liked adventure, not that i have a death wish!

hehehehe... kidding... skydiving is on my list of things to do

but

i am married, and melinda (my wife) has drawn the line (motorcycles, diving, and flying
are ok... skydiving.... not ok)

If you look at the statistics, skydiving with an automatic activation device is relatively safe :D

You could always try parasailing :wink:

Snowboarding was my midlife crisis. I don't do tiny red sports cars...

Riding in vehicles driven by the new owners of Reef House Resort, versus riding in the same vehicles when driven by their 'local' handyman / repair & improvosation genius. It takes a 'local' to really confidently navigate the roads safely, even in daylight, in my opinion, and the liability laws - no thank you. Growing up in South Texas, I know full well the law of the rich tourist vs. the 'local national' in US/Mexico border areas, as well as la mordida (if you have to ask, you're best to just avoid it), and that's just one reason why I would personally never rent a car for myself to drive in Mexico. But at least there's loads of agencies you can get special 'Mexico Car & Liability Insurance' through, whether taking your own car into Mexico or renting one while visiting there. I have no idea if this type insurance is available in Honduras, nor did I have the motivation to find out.

I did not see what traffic was like in Mainland Honduras, only Roatan while I was there. Direct flights on Continental all the way to & back for us, cheaper than TACA quoted to boot! No luggage delays or problems for us using Continental for Roatan.

Dominica was one of the more challenging spots I rented a vehicle at, twisty mountain roads with spots of work-not-in-progress since whichever hurricane was most recent, with pretty sheer & spectacular drop-offs along the road edges in spots, but before more than half the week was over, I was 'driving like a local' according to the wife, and I knew where the goat herd camped at night, the part of the road where the donkey who was flailing on his back in the middle of the road because he was itchy around the curve would be found, etc. No way would I choose to drive in Honduras. No way.

Any of the Cayman Islands, Dominica, Bonaire, Curacao (which requires some big-city 'assertive' driving style), French Polynesia (but not Tahiti itself), etc. were not a problem for me.

thanks... this is very helpful

ok, one more question:

WarmWaterDiver:
and the liability laws - no thank you.

what are they like?

Check the US State Department info - some other posters have alluded to it earlier in the thread.

And, we only traveled by boat for night dives after dark. I can only imagine what driving at night is like. But each person has their own limits & preferences, you may have no problems with things I wouldn't take a chance on, and vice-versa. Best to check out the info for an more informed decision - look before you leap, as they say.

yeah, i have, but can't find anything specfically as to liability in Honduras

Did you try the link to 'Consular Information Sheets', then 'Honduras'?

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1135.html

BTW, the link to "Travel Warnings' can be helpful sometimes too.

If I remember correctly, while vacationing there, the new owners of Reef House Resort told us if you injure a 'local' while driving there, you are obligated to provide for that person for the rest of THEIR life. Don't know if that's true, or if I remember correctly, but Roatanman can probably cite where to find the details.

oh yes, i read the whole CIS on Honduras... also their embassy link, and a bunch
of other things

but no real good info on what the liability laws in Honduras are

still, there's a lot of good info there

Still curious, as you're going to Roatan for a fortnight, if it's not at all a well cat . . .

hehehe.... too right!

btw, i caught the earlier reference but it went in one ear and out the other :wink:

I've just been reading a great big book about how to put your budgie down, and
apparently you can either hit them with the book, or you can shoot them just there, just above the beak.

Back
Top Bottom