Renting a Car in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In a box in the basement I still have 'The Big Red Book with The Small Blue Cover', as well as 'All The Words'.

Somewhere I also had 'The Life of Brian' which included the introduction of the Symbionese Suicide Squad, which didn't make the final movie cut, so it lacked the same punch when they all comitted suicide at Brian's feet.

'Where's the fetus gong to gestate? In a BOX?"

H2Andy:
I've just been reading a great big book about how to put your budgie down, and....

Nudge nudge, say no more.

But to the original subject:

No, I can not quote chapter and verse relating to vehicular tort and liability in Honduras. I can cite various and several true, anecdotal experiences.

Take everything written above and submitted to you as you will. It is pretty well the fact as taken as a whole.

Laws notwithstanding, you are subject as noted above, to the "gringo factor".

I have driven a lot on Roatan and the Bay Islands, and in the worst conditions. I have driven slowly, extremely defensively, and have never had an accident or altercation. In most cases I had the benefit of Honduran National Government documentation that I carried advising that I was to be left alone and not impeded by local law enforcement in any manner. (I have been involved in the recovery from Hurricane Mitch among other things) Through all of that I was only detained twice by traffic cops for a total of 5 hours. Not a bad record, but remember, I carried official "minor god" status.

Hey- you jump out of airplanes. I've only been in three that crashed, but I aint jumping out of a perfectly good one!

We all set our limits.

Its not a matter of BEING SCARED or having an ADVENTURE....its a matter of the consequences ($$$$$) if something goes wrong and the higher risk of that happening.

well... it's sounding more and more like we'll end up walking or taking a taxi
everywhere

again, thanks everyone... lots of info

Every time I visit Roatan I rent a car for at least one day or more. The roads are not interstate quality by anymeans,but "terrifying" is hardly a word I would use. Yes,caution should always be exercised...but that is true everywhere you drive. Ive drive in a lot more tense situatuion in the United Stares. Dont let some people "in the know" scare you off from enjoying the freedom of having your own wheels to go where and when you want. Just check out the vehicle before you rent it to make sure evrything is in proper working order and enjoy yourself!

Zebra mussel:
Every time I visit Roatan I rent a car for at least one day or more.

Good to hear you enjoy your visits.

The roads are not interstate quality by anymeans,but "terrifying" is hardly a word I would use.

that's the one I used.

Yes,caution should always be exercised...but that is true everywhere you drive. Ive drive in a lot more tense situatuion in the United Stares.

But, in the US we have discernable laws, reflective striping, improved shoulders, reflectors on bikesand pedestrians, and we have fast access to world class emergency medical care. Most US drivers do not have the "tense situation" experience you do. I myself have always owned a Jeep. I abide by the slogan, "The better the 4 wheel drive, the further out you get stuck". I, too, know about vehicles, roads and the consequences of risk in a remote location. This is the same analogy I draw for those who wish to dive the Blue Hole in Belize. It's a long way to get assistance.

Even if you get into a taxi or van, buckle up the seat belts and be observant.

Dont let some people "in the know" scare you off from enjoying the freedom of having your own wheels to go where and when you want.

I'm not trying to scare anyone off, I am making absolutely sure they understand the cost bennefit ratio analysis. The bottom line on Roatan is: Where were you going to go, anyway? The need for mobility is rather limited.

Just check out the vehicle before you rent it to make sure evrything is in proper working order

Oky doky. That ought to cut down on the avaialable choice from the collection of 1995 Suzuki Samurais quite a bit. Be sure to check the wipers, brakes and headlight aiming.

and enjoy yourself!

Above all else.

Zebra, you have excellent points, and I write the above as a 1/2 tongue in cheek reply. Hey- if you want to have a real Caribbean thrill, fly into Tobago and try driving to Speyside at midnight. 2nd gear most of the way.

I just see, once again, no real use for a perrsonal rental vehicle (and certainly NOT a scooter) on Roatan in this decade. Not yet, anyway.

The 'make them up as you go along' exit from the semi-paved road routine really caught my attention. Folks going into the opposing traffic lane to slew to the far shoulder just in time to exit on an 'unimproved' road intersetion was a bit reminiscent of 'chicken'. The 'local' driver kept asking us gringos what the heck were we stirred up about - he most definitely had only Honduran road driving experience, so for him, it was natural. I personally wouldn't choose to put to the test either my big-city 'assertive' driving nor country lane 'mosey' driving styles, far less my 'I have the heavier vehicle and you will grant me right of way under the laws of inertia and conservation of momentum' even with a nice 4WD heavy duty pickup truck there - just my choice. The $$$ for a local driver vs. my liability & hassle factor while on vacation if there is an accident with me behind a wheel would get in the way of 'enjoying myself'.

Other places, I've never hit anything, no chickens, goats, dogs, cats, other than a few land crabs at night on the north & west side of Grand Cayman who would make a Banzai charge for the tires from the weeds when driving back & forth to the Papagayo restaraunt a few times. But Grand Cayman doesn't have the Ferengi-style redistribution of wealth by lawsuit factor the USA does, much less the more honestly open and up front mordida factor in Mexico or according to our gringo hosts Roatan.

But, I can't imagine renting a car for more than 1 or at max 2 days there. Roatan isn't really Grand Cayman in terms of metropolitan stuff. One afternoon of car rental was sufficient for us on Cayman Brac, for instance.

i think, after talking to my wife, that the plan is to go down there and see how
we can get along without a car, and see what the conditions are first hand.

maybe rent a car for a day and dip our toes, sort of speak

from the sounds of it, it's probably safer not to mess around with Roatan's road
conditions

ok... dumb question...

do they take dollar bills down there?

We never had problems with US Dollars, but then, we only really left them as tips, and those were typically as US$ Travelers Checks - the ones we get from AAA - Visa. No one complained in the slightest accepting them from us. Most of our costs were all one-stop running of a tab after sending our $300 deposit via credit card when we made the reservations, at Reef House Resort, for anything that wasn't already included in our package.

However, considering Reef House Resort and Oak Ridge are the edge of the 'boonies' as I understand things, if you went into the even less developed areas on Roatan, maybe it would be an issue - not sure. In the area around where Fantasy Island and Coco View are, I doubt it's a problem

WarmWaterDiver:
We never had problems with US Dollars

Amen to that. Nowhere on this planet. They truly are the universal currency. Some locales and countries might try to turn up their noses, but this is much like moving to Miami and refusing to learn Spanish. You gotta do what's right, and US dollars are known for their... value.

The Euro has taken a broad swipe at this postulate, but if it were really true, why is the exchange rate for dollars under the table so much better than at the exchange?

Jingoism and accusations thereof are now anticipated in response to this, but USD are the universal coin of the realm.

The Honduran Lempira, it's their smallest denomination paper currency. They are worth $.06 each. Yes, that is basically a 6 cent bill. And they can make change down to a Honduran penny, which at 1/100th of a Lempira, that would be... hmm... 1/100th of 6 cents.

Take 1's, 5's, and 10's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom