Requesting expert/shop owner input re: obese diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deleted...

Last edited:
I hope you will find your answers

Last edited:
Deleted...

Last edited:
At 5'11" and 325 lbs I can say that youre bbiggest obsticle will be to find wetsuit that will fit you if you will be diving warm water that wont be an issue the other problem will be finding a rental bcd that will fit but that can be overcome with a weight belt threaded alongside the cumberbund like i had to do in Jamaca. if this is somthing you think you will stick with than you can buy a custom wetsuit and they do make some xxxl bcd's

That is the first question I had for my local shop I am 5'9 and about 335 he said I would be fine I would just have to get my own bc so I know it fits right.

I would say.. that at that weight AND smoking you should not dive.

On the other hand, you shouldn't smoke.... If you can climb a ladder and hike a few miles and the doctor gives you the go ahead... go for it. Once you get into the water your weight will be much less of a hindrance than on land. My BMI is in the obese range..

I'm no Pro, just a guy who loves diving. I would add however that you contact the dive centre at your vacation destination beforehand, let them know your concerns etc- that way you can set-up it all up. If it's a resort you typically will get a pool session and then a shore dive so you can get a sense of whether you actually like it or not. BTW I also love to snorkel as well, so if scuba is not your thing then I would highly recommend getting into snorkelling- I often enjoy it as much as scuba. 43 is young as well- sheesh!

...You should also be aware that obesity is a pre-disposing factor to decompression illness ("the bends")...
I think the jury is still out on that. See for example, what DAN says here: DAN | Medical Frequently Asked Questions
There is no strong body of evidence to suggest that overweight individuals have a greater risk of DCI or that they suffer more dive-related injuries than divers who are within 10 percent of their ideal body weight. Obesity by itself does not restrict diving.

You should also be aware that obesity is a pre-disposing factor to decompression illness ("the bends"). That shouldn't necessarily prevent you from diving, but you should aim to take every feasible measure to make your dives .

Do you have any more information on this??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom