Rescue Diver Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That sounds like quite the experience. Was this through PADI? I don't think this type of lesson would be allowed nowadays for a rescue diver course for many reasons (e.g., fear of a lawsuit/injury, wanting everyone to pass, etc.). On the other hand, I think that type of scenario is really beneficial. I'm sure after that, everything else (even minor emergencies) felt really easy for you.

Yes, it was a PADI class. One thing that could have impacted what the class consisted of was our instructors' familiarity with us students and our familiarity with them. The other student was my regular dive buddy, whom I dove with frequently back then. Both of us also dove frequently with the 2 instructors and had taken other classes under their direction, so they were very familiar with our ability. We were also very familiar with the dive site. So all of those factors could have played into the class, I'm not sure. What I do know is that at the end of that class, both of us were very well prepared to handle almost any emergency situation that might arise while diving, either on the surface or at depth. Today? Not so much, as I'm too out of shape. Gotta work on that. I enjoyed the class more than any I've ever taken, so maybe once I'm back in shape I'll take it again.

Really off topic, but you wouldn't happen to have an infamous maneuver named after you, would you?

Rescue is my favorite class to teach. It's a lot of fun and very challenging. I buddy teach with another instructor. Our goal is to give you that "oh crap" moment. We try very hard to get the student to panic. We want the student to know what that feels like that way maybe they can deal with it in a real situation. There's never a dull moment in a rescue class and there are plenty of laughs, too. I would recommend taking the course, even if you don't pass. There is a lot of good information out there. Just be careful and know your limits. Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom