"Rescue Diver" - Your experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all! I had a real laugh reading your replies.

I'm a relatively junior diver with only about 50 dives to my name but I believe it is better to do it now and instill good habits than do it after 500 dives and have to undo bad habits.

On the other hand, I do regret not choosing another dive centre to do this as the instructor and DMs are all built like blockhouses.... *sigh*.... Still I did used to be a defensive end at college so here's hoping!

It the instructor runs his class like a "boot camp", I would look elsewhere. You don't need to tow someone a long distance to master the techniques.

You will learn a number of techniques to use when helping a diver who is panicked, but If a panicked diver is too big and strong, you stay away until you can safely approach them.

Rescue is a physically demanding course, but it is very rewarding. I agree that it is the minimum level a recreational diver should try to accomplish.

Thank you all! I had a real laugh reading your replies.

I'm a relatively junior diver with only about 50 dives to my name but I believe it is better to do it now and instill good habits than do it after 500 dives and have to undo bad habits.

On the other hand, I do regret not choosing another dive centre to do this as the instructor and DMs are all built like blockhouses.... *sigh*.... Still I did used to be a defensive end at college so here's hoping!

If you do have to make a rescue in real life you will not have the luxury of choosing who to rescue. It is better to have the confidence that you can deal with somebody larger than you, and remember, most likely you will not be on your own, you can call for help, use anyone who is nearby, delegate tasks like calling emergency services etc.

Should be mandatory for all divers.

When I did mine back in '93, the instructor had two DMs working with him, both over 6' and built like brick sh!thouses. They were frequently my victims for rescue and boy did they try to drown me, knowing every trick in the book, they would turn around when I duckdived to come up behind them etc, thrashing around and doing their best to take me out. Did not make it easy for me at all, I am only 5'7"!

Anyway I came away from that course with a lot of knowledge and confidence. Happy to say that my daughter also did that course last year and she is a better diver for it too.

Enjoy the course :D
I'm 5'1. My buddy was 6'7" and nearly 100 lbs more than me. You have nothing to complain about! Plus, my buddy was a triathlete and I'm a nearing 50 disabled vet.

It the instructor runs his class like a "boot camp", I would look elsewhere. You don't need to tow someone a long distance to master the techniques.

You will learn a number of techniques to use when helping a diver who is panicked, but If a panicked diver is too big and strong, you stay away until you can safely approach them.

Rescue is a physically demanding course, but it is very rewarding. I agree that it is the minimum level a recreational diver should try to accomplish.
My instructor has a theory that the time when a rescue is most likely is at the end of a dive day when everyone is tired and not strong enough to make a long swim against a current or to climb a ladder. We had to run up and down stairs in full gear at the start of each class so we would be winded before beginning our rescue simulations.
I know of two divers who hold a rescue level certification and could not possibly perform even a simple rescue. I'm glad I had my instructor rather than theirs.

As I am in the middle of helping to DM a Rescue class right now, I have a couple of thoughts. One is that there is significant value in having the students tow somebody a fairly long distance -- not horribly long, but long enough so that they get tired and realize that it takes a lot of effort to move a fully equipped diver on the surface for any length of time. This goes to the "don't make a second victim" concept of Rescue, and encourages them to think about mobilizing other resources (if any are available) even if all it appears is needed is a tired diver tow.

Second, I think that "amping up" scenarios until the would be rescuers experience stress is useful. One of the divers I worked with today found his personal limit -- I think it surprised him, to find out how little it really took, and I don't think he was prepared for how quickly things underwater spiral out of control. The lesson, I think, will make him work at strengthening his own diving skills, and will also make him cautioius about how much he takes on underwater, which is a good lesson to learn.

Rescue was a great class. We did not get the boot camp version nor did we get the fluff version. Having your mask ripped off sounds a bit much but that's why you get behind the victim! Unconscious victims also stay unconscious, or ours did.

Enjoy the class and have fun.....

We have so much fun with our students as we tend to come up with scenarios that are outside of the box. Masks will come off!"

I hope that idiot instructor would be prepared for me to rip his mask off in returning the favor, pull his reg out of his mouth and punch him in the balls.

The course has very valuable material that will open your eyes, make you more situationally aware and a better diver with skills designed to make you an asset to other divers for the rest of your life. There will be plenty of task loading just doing the exercises competently without the need for pulling masks off and other ridiculous play games.

Out of curiosity - how long have you been diving/how many dives do you have?

I'm very interested in the Rescue Diver course but want to wait until I get some more experience under my belt first...

Andy

Very sensible mentality. You'll get much more out of the course if you have enough dive experience to ensure you already have your diving skills dialed in, which will allow you to focus on the details of the course, the dives included, the new skills and techniques that you will be taught.

Rescue was actually part of my Los Angeles County OW cert back in the 1960s. However, I took PADI Rescue Diver a few years ago to refresh my knowledge and update to new philosophy. It is an important part of any diver's training IMHO.

I had an interesting experience with the PADI Rescue Diver cert. I had just towed my victim in and completed the resuscitation. Swam out to the buoy to retrieve the gear I had taken off him. Noticed a woman near the buoy that appeared rto be in trouble. I asked her if she needed help and she said yes. I immediately thought one of my instructor friends at the park that day was setting me up, but treated it like a real assist. Brought her over to the float, calmed her down and then towed her in towards the exit. As we neared it, a guy swam out and said "I'll take over from here." I asked who he was and he said he was her boyfriend and dive buddy. My comment was "If so, where the hell were you when she needed assistance?" It was a real situation, although nothing life threatening. You just never know when you might be called on to render assistance... or actually save a life.

People have a great time doing the panicked diver scenarios in a rescue class, but that situation is really very rare. The scenario that is more likely to precede drowning is one of quiet desperation. The diver is struggling to stay afloat, but not with the thrashing you get in the panicked diver scenario. It is more of a head bobbing above and below the water a few times before the diver sinks. See this article for more details. It may be barely noticeable. Be sure that scenario is taught and practiced as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom