Rescue Diver's Chime in please.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everybody worries about the big guy, but the hardest person I had to simulate rescuing was was a 5ft nothing of a woman who knew how to be dead weight. Of course she was giving the class at the time and really made it fun. I still try to emulate her class when I teach mine. Don't over stress yourself about physicallity of this class. Just have fun and try to keep an eye on everything going on.

Cold_H2O:
Hardest part was getting my buddy to the shore..
He was 6' Army guy... I am 5'1".
I was doing great in the water. but after I had him over my shoulders ready to drag him on to land.
He got a case of the giggles.. He found it funny that he could touch both his hands and his feet to the ground while I had him over my shoulders..

I sympathize. I'm 140lbs and old, and the next-smallest guy in my class was 6' and 215lb. I couldn't get him up the vertical ladder in the lake! I was a popular "carryee" in that class.

Just finished my Rescue Class and i would say go for it without hesitation...now, the DM drills, that's another story :wink:

The hardest part for me was the shark attack drills. Our instructor did everything but tie our reg lines in knots. I still have a mask somewhere at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico thanks to him.

BTW, if you do have any back problems that you don't want to aggravate, just tell the instructor. You need to demonstrate the skills, not your strength.

Oh yeah, don't forget that you can use anyone around as part of the simulations. That includes haveing them help get someone out of the water. That could show leadership!

Valwood1:
I sympathize. I'm 140lbs and old, and the next-smallest guy in my class was 6' and 215lb. I couldn't get him up the vertical ladder in the lake! I was a popular "carryee" in that class.
I was also very popular. Had most of the class wanting to be my buddy.
I think I weighted 140 in my gear. Which included 26 pounds of weight. :D

Everyones favorite dive buddy that weekend.

It was a great course and I highly recommend it. I thought that dragging someone out of the water would be the most difficult part being that I am a pixie compared to some of you big, manly divers. At 5'3", the guy I had to drag out was at least a foot taller than me and had at least 100 pounds on me as well. Once you figure out how to use the water to your advantage and realize that adrenaline is more effective than steroids, it was a breeze. It's great to know that in an emergency, I have the training to help someone or at least assist someone in a rescue situation.

Congratulations, good job

I would say go for it, you'll be glad you did. As long as you're in reasonable shape you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom